Lv2hnt

So, do you eat the bear(s) you kill???

Most of us know the importance of not eating under-cooked pork. Similar care should be taken when it comes to bear meat!

Here's a really good video from Steve Rinella, the "Meat Eater" on TV (bon appetite!):

• Like 4

5 months after I devowered my bear I'm still ok. It's was tasty!!!

• Like 1

Thanks! After killing my first Black Bear and loving the carne asada now I am sure I have Trich... :blink:

Good info, thanks!

This made me feel little better:

About 90%-95% of trichinosis infections have either minor or no symptoms and no complications. Most trichinosis infections have minor symptoms and do not require any treatment as all symptoms resolve without treatment.

My buddy gave me a couple chunks of bear from CA he got s few years back. I made chili with it and it was awesome.

Cook it right and it tastes amazing!! So good I'd pry ccompare it to.........? Well? MEAT!!!! Different meats tastes different but if they eat similar foods at similar altitudes they taste similar lol. Not the same. I've eatin coues and mule deer at the same elevation and have eaten bear at that elevation with the same food source. They have their own unique taste if cooked plain with no additives but once you add a seasoning or sauce it's all close. Bears a bit greasy but not much.

• Like 1

I have eaten a half-dozen bears and have used their meat in just about every culinary way possible and have had zero problems. Cook your meat to 165 degrees F and all the worries regarding Trichinosis vanish. Bear is my favorite meat of all, and yes, I will drive about anywhere in the state to pick up your unwanted bear meat after you tag one!

• Like 5

we had a game fest a few yrs back - all exotic kinds of meats - the bear stew was the first to dissapear

I've commented before- as long as they are not eating rotting / spoiled / garbage they taste great

the majority of baiters across the land use sweets and fresh kill- Guess why - tastes better

I have held off on hunting bear cuz im not sure I would like it. I cant see the point in killing an animal if I wont use every ounce of it. Minus bones and guts of course. Seeing there are a lot of bear eaters on here I might give it a try and donate it to one or some of you guys if I don't like it.

• Like 2

Wow. I didn't know of such a thing with bear, but I am glad I do now. Better cook it 100%

I have eaten it and it was good. I was dragging my butt on the neighbor's carpet at a party afterwards though.

• Like 2