Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

For my dad

Time flies. it's been 3 years since my dad passed away. I was recently out in the desert and came across the ovens. I was a young kid the first time I saw them with my dad and I've managed to find my way back to them a few times over the years. It's interesting where the cacti have started growing.

post-5072-0-93147600-1425039853_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-38110400-1425039951_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-78234500-1425040332_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

It's always nice to revisit a place that brings back fond memories of our childhood. Now you can pass them on to your daughter like they were passed on to you Christina. I saw these back some 35yrs ago and need to get back there again. So glad to see they're still in good shape. Do you recall the history behind these? I have forgotten. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

They are the coke ovens used for making coke (a hot burning charcoal product) for the local gold and silver mines. Owned privately and currently being closed off again due to vandalism.

I saw no vandalism except inside one had grafitti. They looked as good as every time I've seen them over the last 30+ years. I was impressed actually. I've been told they melted ore inside them and then sent it on down river. they are a cool sight for sure.

Few ways to get there.. Martinez canyon Rd and some others. You can Google Earth it, just type in Superior AZ Coke ovens and it should take you there.

It's not the ovens themselves that are getting vandalized, it's the property and house right next to them. The house used to be in great shape. Now it's ripped apart. The owner did a cleanup, again. The property is posted no trespassing but the signs get ripped down. As always it's a shame people abuse things like that. Martinez cabin (the same area) is the same situation. It used to be open and now is closed off to vehicles. At least the let you walk in still.

Last time I was at Martinez Cabin we had to walk to it because it was not accessible after a storm. Yes you are right the house at the ovens looked worse than it did 10 or so years ago when I saw it last, but most houses do when vacant for that long especially out in the middle of the desert. I've definitely seen vandals/idiots do much worse than what I saw at the ovens. If the owner sees it fit to fence it off, then they should but fences don't always keep out the vandals. it's the honest people that will leave it alone anyway the same as we do without a fence.

• Like 2

I'd better put these on my list of things to see. I get through Superior quite often and am a bit ashamed to say Ive never even heard of these.

Thanks for sharing naturegirl.

• Like 1