MathewQuigly

Which GPS would you buy and why

I figure this has been covered but want to ask anyways.

I'm looking for current GPS info since I haven't even looked a GPS in years, but find myself going to need one in the near future, because I've gotten involved with search and rescue and continued hunting activity here in Arizona.

I've alway been a big map and compass guy but there are advantages to GPS.

So like it says which GPS would you buy and use for the above activity and why?

I use my smart phone and downloaded the app Trimble GPS Hunt (pro, not free version). My buddy and I "share" a annual subscription which gives us unlimited access to download the most up to date unit specific maps. I dowload the maps prior to my hunt and use offline when back in the woods. I really like it.

I have a Garmin Oregon 450T, I like it because it came pre-loaded with maps of the US, I travel quite a bit during the summer on wildland fires and if the dirt roads have numbers they are usually on my GPS no matter what state I am in. It is fairly user friendly, altho I hate the "delete all waypoints" button but that is due to my fat fingers and not putting on my glasses.

There are a lot to choose from and mine is several years old but I can't stress enough how nice it is to have maps of the entire US.

Garmin Glo and your smart phone or iPad mini via bluetooth:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portable-GLONASS-Receiver-Vehicle/dp/B00AYAZENY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425239140&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+glo

Best GPS reciever you can get and you can use MotionX, Trimble, etc anywhere you go. You do have to download maps if you are out of cell range but once you do the satellite acquisition and screen is miles better than any GPS. Easy to take back up batteries, solar charger, and a std USB cord so you can charge it up but it lasts a really long time, since it has no screen, if you turn it off when not in use.

Other choices if you have a specific need:

DeLorme InReach if you need satellite texting, works really well! Amanda has a write up on here about these units. I used one from Mexico to check in each day. It can send auto updates for tracking you on a map as well, even via facebook. And it has an SOS feature if you get into trouble.

Garmin Rino if you need to keep track of your hunting partners and they are willing to buy one as well. Built in radio and Rino tracking feature.

I use my smart phone and downloaded the app Trimble GPS Hunt (pro, not free version). My buddy and I "share" a annual subscription which gives us unlimited access to download the most up to date unit specific maps. I dowload the maps prior to my hunt and use offline when back in the woods. I really like it.

How does your battery hold up to that? Whenever I use gps functions on my galaxy 3 you can pretty much sit there and watch the battery indicator drop.

How does your battery hold up to that? Whenever I use gps functions on my galaxy 3 you can pretty much sit there and watch the battery indicator drop.
I shut everything other than the GPS off. I also have the Galaxy S3. I probably get the better part of the day on one battery. This GPS function doesn't seem to be anywhere near the battery sucker of turn by turn street navigation. I bought a few extra Anker brand batteries on Amazon (about $20 for 3) and throw them in my pack as backups. They weigh next to nothing and don't really take up any space. This option gives my GPS, camera, video camera, phone, entertainment, emergecy flashlight, etc. and I'm good for a few days if I can't plug in for a while.

This is also one of many reasons why I hate Apple products. Sealed case so no swapping batteries.

I don't think I'm interested in the smart phones for GPS, reason being is if screw up and break it ( hasn't happe yet but never know) then both devices are down

My buddy uses the 650's and they are great. Touch screen, new clip, better battery,lots of improvements.

I have the Garmin Rhino 120 with Topo 2008. I like it because of the Rhino polling features. I can load any maps in the lower 48 into it and transfer all my waypoints to my computer or from my computer to the GPS unit. I tell my wife if she has to send out a search party for me make sure the S&R team has a Rhino to poll my location. I tell her the two frequencies I will be on, 9-11 if it is an emergency or the regular one. If I had to buy a new one it would be a newer Rhino that you can put landowner chips into for hunting. Then again I am thinking from the rescue point of view to make sure they get to me as fast as possible if needed.

Has anyone used the 64s yet?

That is my personal favorite, very friendly for uploading/downloading data, (maps, custom polygons, landownership, etc..) when combined with DNRgarmin,Expert GPS, or QGIS software. battery life is great and it is a lot faster acquiring satellites than the map60.