Sign in to follow this  
couesbuck22

Couple questions

I have a 30. Remington that was passed down to me from my grandfather and can't find any dies to reload I have the brass that he gave me with it and about 30 loaded shells anyone know where or how I could get the dies? Also I reloaded some 180gr. Spbt's for my elk hunt this previous year I was shooting a 300 win mag shot my bull in the vitals 3 times at 65 yards and found all 3 bullets inside while gutting him and not one even made it to the ribs on the opposite side I'd rather have them coming out he barely bled out the entry holes even though his lungs were almost gone..any ideas? Lastly I reloaded 250 40gr. V-max for my 223 they're flying at 3681 fps and about the only thing I like so far is that they dont come out and I don't have to sew em up once they're skinned and fleshed but that load has shot 9 coyotes between me and my nephew and only one has dropped I hit her in the neck facing me at 180 yards I have shot dogs at 40 yards behind the shoulder and they usually run 50-75 yards away before dying without bleeding out I have lost 3 that I know I hit and couldn't find them..shot one at 80 yards in the shoulder trying to get one to drop and it still ran over 100 yards across the flat before dying, any help would be appreciated

My oldest shot his bull last year with my 300WSM. 168gn berger. Entry wound the size of a golfball and liquefied lungs at 100 yards. Dropped him instantly. No blood except from the mouth and nose.

Runners is why I quite using a .223 for Coyotes. I don't care about pelts so I steped up to my .250 Savage running 115gr Bergers at 2850fps. Needless to say the runners stopped. As far as dies go contact just about any die maker and the should be able to make you a set. MidwayUSA shows an RCBS set available and in stock currently.

• Like 1

Switch to a 50 or 55 vmax in your .223 or go to 40 btips. Btip performance will likely give you more runners unless you srsy with 40's. They work fantastic fast but in a .223, I want vmaxs.

I was shooting the hornady interlock 180gr Spbt's and do these heavier bullets in the .223 come out from your guys' experience I was shooting 55 grain hollow points but didnt like em because they always came out with a softball sized hole even if I didn't hit bone

.30 Rem dies.

http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Dies-by-Category/Group-D-Bottleneck-Rifle-Cartridges/Full-Length-Die-Set-Group-D-Bottleneck-Rifle-Cartr.aspx

What SPBTs were you shooting at elk? My daughter shot her bull with 175 SMKs, and the elk did not even twitch after the shot. DRT. I also like the Berger HVLD and 215 Hybrids.

I like 69 SMKs and 50 V-max out of my .223 for yotes. Both stop them fine. The SMKs make less of a mess, but they go a bit.

Coues- if you want an exit use a barnes (or an all copper bullet), the tipped bonded bear claw is another one you may want to try,for elk huning. i prefer a partition or what you used. i have used a 165 btsp too with good results. for coyotes i use a 50 grain ballistic tip out of .222, 223 and 22-250. they worl well for me.

sounds like your bullets did exactly what they're supposed to do. i shoot hornady interlocks for that reason. they don't go through. all the shock stays in the animal. that's what a good bullet does. and they cost half what a "premium" bullet does. why does everyone think you need a blood trail? although, it has been my experience with barnes bullets that you need one, because they always run off and die a half mile away in a thicket up a canyon and you spend all night tracking. a good bullet opens up and spends all it's energy inside the animal. i usually find my interlocks on the offside, under the skin, wadded up in a ball. even on deer. and it doesn't matter what you shoot on a gut shot. as far as .224 diamater bullets, i shoot hornady 55 gr hollow point boat tail match bullets in anything that shoots that diameter. seem to tear things up less. Lark.

Could anyone post or send me a picture of the powder and powder amount I have two hornady manuals and one nosler and neither one has the 30. Remington

the .30 remington is a rimless variation of the .30/30 winchester. .30/30 load data can be safely used to load the .30 remington. if you look in a lot of reloading books it will have a footnote saying that. are you loading for an old pump like a model 14 or 141? anyway, you can use .30/30 data with no problems. Lark.

It is a pump couldn't tell you the model off the top of my head thanks everyone for the input I greatly appreciate the feedback. Good luck on the draw

they're both great old rifles. do you know why it has the corkscrew looking deals in the mag tube? Lark.