Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

Border Units

So, the original group of guys that introduced me to javelin have more or less disbanded (health, age, lack of interest, lots of reasons). For old time sake, on this past ham hunt. My brother and I went to the ol' unit and tried our hardest. Lots of mountain lion track, and a n old timer who had hunted the area for about 50 years that said "they're aint none left on this side".

My curiosity has started to take over and the camp conversation was "where to next year?" (not that we weren't optimistic in the pursuit, just talking about going someplace new). We brought up the border units. With the influx of migrants and illegal activities, there seems to be a lack of interest in that area.

I already have a plan on where to camp, and be secure. I also know there's been threads about hunting deer down south with, but I haven't ever heard anyone talk about Javelina down that way much. I know theres always leftover tags for that region. Does anyone have any thoughts about it? I was down to Bisbee right before the HAM hunt this year and that's what planted the seed about venturing out. I'd like to try the new area for us, plus leftover tags in my mind means there may not the all that much pressure to begin with.

*not asking for honey holes, draw numbers, or anything specific. Just curious to what actual people have put eyeballs on as compared to stale data on the G&F hunt unit page

I used to hunt 35B in the 80's. Good amount of pigs but difficult to hunt

I have hunted 36a/b/c and 34a for javelina, deer, and quail. Border issues are not as bad as they used to be. PM me with any questions you have.

why do you insist on saying the game and fish info is stale? some guys kill pigs out of the same hole for the past 20 years and you think 5 year old AZGFD info is stale?

Trphyhntr, sorry gotta apologize. Maybe "stale" wasn't the correct terminology, maybe "broad generalization" is a better term, like in this posting about turkey in unit 23 (for example):

During the spring hunt turkeys can be located by imitating the call of a hen turkey. The males respond to these calls with a distinctive "gobble". Hunters should be dressed in camouflage to blend in with the area they are hunting. Successful hunters tend to stay put when a turkey "gobbles" and let the turkey come to them. It is very difficult to stalk a turkey, whose keen eyesight is better than human eyesight. It can also be dangerous to stalk a turkey. Other hunters are in the woods dressed in camouflage as you are and they may be the "turkey" you are stalking. So it is better to stay where you are when you hear the "gobble’ and find a good place that will act as a blind.

I was merely trying to find out any more information about luck, success, or pros and cons of going down. Didn't mean to sound like it was a bash on game and fish. I actually support and agree with what they have to do as far as management practices. They're not perfect, but they're doing a decent job with the resources available.

Trphyhntr, sorry gotta apologize. Maybe "stale" wasn't the correct terminology, maybe "broad generalization" is a better term, like in this posting about turkey in unit 23 (for example):

During the spring hunt turkeys can be located by imitating the call of a hen turkey. The males respond to these calls with a distinctive "gobble". Hunters should be dressed in camouflage to blend in with the area they are hunting. Successful hunters tend to stay put when a turkey "gobbles" and let the turkey come to them. It is very difficult to stalk a turkey, whose keen eyesight is better than human eyesight. It can also be dangerous to stalk a turkey. Other hunters are in the woods dressed in camouflage as you are and they may be the "turkey" you are stalking. So it is better to stay where you are when you hear the "gobble’ and find a good place that will act as a blind.

I was merely trying to find out any more information about luck, success, or pros and cons of going down. Didn't mean to sound like it was a bash on game and fish. I actually support and agree with what they have to do as far as management practices. They're not perfect, but they're doing a decent job with the resources available.

you left this part out

Areas to scout will include Canyon Creek, Naegelin Rim/Canyon, Colcord Mountain/Canyon, Christopher Mountain, Turkey Peak (Of Course!), Gentry Mountain, Young Airport, Squaw Mesa, Buzzard Roost, and along the Malicious Gap road (Forest Road 609).

• Like 1

No... this was a javelin thread. I referenced the general information that game and fish puts into their units about animals. Sorry for the confusion.

-Like for example, when looking up information on turkey in unit 23...it suggests wearing camouflage.

Anyways, the original inquiry I put up was to find better information about the border units. I was just curious about what real people (members here on CWT) had experienced.

That time of the year I guess. I know I start to hear gobbles in my dreams come February!

It's my own fault. I have a unit 23 turkey tag for April. I was going back and forth between the forums and random browsing of different things. I had started the thread on here (mainly to keep myself occupied and start gathering information for javelin). I later came across the "camouflage" statement at game and fish's page which made me laugh. (I mean, I was actually planning something more in the business casual attire for that trip, ha ha) then cited that as my example for the confusion about "stale information" .

The post was and is to try and get more info about the southern units. We put in for the HAM hunt. Was just looking at trying to do a bit more exploring on the hunts and of the units before next October when the draw comes around again

36B is good, I always seem to spot them when I'm huntin coues down there!

• Like 1