Sign in to follow this  
EverythingWx

Are More Elk/Mule Deer at Lower Elevations This Time of Year?

Hey y'all,

I am new to the state of Arizona and the West in general. Grew up hunting in Ohio, so I am not too familiar with the elevations elk and mule deer hang out in this time of year when they are dropping their antlers. I live around 7000 feet in the Flagstaff area, and I am going to head out tomorrow to look for some sheds. I just plan on finding a more remote area and hiking quite a few miles to see what I can find.

Any suggestions on elevations I should hike around? Or does it not really matter?

Thanks!

I don't know, and doubt that anyone knows for certain. It may depend upon the weather and how much snow is on the ground in any particular year as to how high you might find antlers shed by elk. I've seen bulls still carrying the previous year's antlers as late as May, and I've found sheds on 9,500-foot elevation knolls above Greer, as well as way out on treeless antelope flats 3,000 feet lower west of Springerville. I even found a spike's antler in my cabin's backyard at 8,500 feet several years ago. ---- Bill Quimby

I have found elk sheds from 5000' to 9000'. Depends on the elk and the weather. Seems like it has been really warm the last month+, I would think they might be moving back up, but I seriously have no clue. Get away from people and look for elk.

Wear out your boot soles and hope you find the answer to your question. Best way to actually determine this is to observe the animals in the weeks leading up to them dropping their antlers. Each year is different.