Sign in to follow this  
Bird Dog

OTC youth turkey

I just finished my daughters 20 ga. benelli. Fits just about right for her first attmept. Who else is looking forward to a little thunder chickens?

• Like 1

I guess a few years brining her along has worked. She is calling to birds and seems very excited. I can not wait.

post-2255-0-99274900-1427165139_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

When did she go through the HE class in Flagstaff?

I am my 10 yr old grandson just got his card on sunday here in Kingman. I bought him a mossberg 20 for xmas. Time to put a bird on the ground.

• Like 1

Some of my buddies and I are taking the kids to unit 1 for a dads/kids turkey hunt. My son is only 6 so he wont be able to hunt, but this will be his first extended hunting trip. He is pretty excited and has been driving my wife crazy with the box call I gave him. We re taking the fishing poles also so hopefully the trout will be biting at Big Lake! It will also give us time to scout for the grown up hunt the following week.

I might take him to Nebraska next year. There is no minimum age there and the youth tags are only $5! Good luck to all and enjoy the time in the woods with the kids.

IA Born, we did the online course and were able to arrange with instructors to fit in on a field day. It was quite the ordeal but closed the deal in Feb. through a friends buddy's third cousin's mother-in-law type. I did like the online course because we could talk and I could instruct her myself.

• Like 1

My daughter(10) just did the online also, just in time to go on her first turkey hunt. I like it better the the traditional class myself. I'm so fired up for her first hunt. I fight to not talk about it constantly and drive the whole house crazy!

• Like 1

IA Born, we did the online course and were able to arrange with instructors to fit in on a field day. It was quite the ordeal but closed the deal in Feb. through a friends buddy's third cousin's mother-in-law type. I did like the online course because we could talk and I could instruct her myself.

Was it a February or late January field day? I don't remember a February field day, but I helped with a January class and we had a couple of online kids in there. Just curious because I like to stay in touch with and encourage former students! Good luck to your daughter and consider taking her to the youth turkey camp down by Happy Jack. Its free (including all meals)! I won't be there mentoring this year, unfortunately, but its a great time.

Best of luck to your daughter. It's shaping up to be a super spring for turkey. All you moms, dads, grandparents, uncles and aunts taking out some youth gobbler slayers this year, best wishes to you and your hunters. IMO, one of the best youth hunting initiatives by AZGFD is the youth turkey hunt. It's exiting, the birds are talking, lots of opportunity for the kids and great family time together in the woods.

• Like 1

Was it a February or late January field day? I don't remember a February field day, but I helped with a January class and we had a couple of online kids in there. Just curious because I like to stay in touch with and encourage former students! Good luck to your daughter and consider taking her to the youth turkey camp down by Happy Jack. Its free (including all meals)! I won't be there mentoring this year, unfortunately, but its a great time.

Yes, it was the Late Jan. I believe. My wife was accompany with daughter as I provided support for them. Thank you for your support and help with everyone's kids. We are considering the Turkey Camp for sure. I will let you know how this goes.

Yes, it was the Late Jan. I believe. My wife was accompany with daughter as I provided support for them. Thank you for your support and help with everyone's kids. We are considering the Turkey Camp for sure. I will let you know how this goes.

I remember you guys! Your daughter did awesome! Good luck!

I just caught on to this! So you can get a youth Over The Counter tag for 1, 4A, 4B, 5A, 5B, 6B (except Camp Navajo), 7, 8, 10, 12A, and 27???

Thanks,

JD

I just caught on to this! So you can get a youth Over The Counter tag for 1, 4A, 4B, 5A, 5B, 6B (except Camp Navajo), 7, 8, 10, 12A, and 27???

Thanks,

JD

If you are under 18 you can. There is also an over the counter archery tag for adults but it starts a month later in mid May.

Thanks,

JD

Yep. One of the best youth hunting opportunities IMO. I dont recall when they started this hunt, I just noticed it last year.