Just wanted to invite everyone who has a pointing dog out to this years season with Arizona Pointing Dog Club. It's an amateur club based on helping you train your dog for the next years season. There is also a monthly field trial held from April all the way through September with a tournament of champions held in October. All the trials other than Aprils are held up north near Flagstaff and the April trial will be in Coolidge at the Desert Pheasant Recreation Club.

The scoring format is based on the AKC master hunter test that scores based on finds, steadiness, honoring, and retrieves. There are three different classes that the trials are also held in. The "Hunter Class" is focused towards dogs that are younger or still in training. The dog is scored on his/her ability to find birds and hold a point for 3 seconds, retrieve to within 15 feet, honor other dogs on point, and be steady to flush on unpointed birds. Since this level is focuses towards training you dog can be ran on a check cord and e collar. This is also a great class for the beginner handler who wants to run his dog on birds all summer and just have fun.

The middle class is the "Shooting Dog Class" which is the most popular and could be considered the competitive class. The scoring is based on your dog being steady to wing, flush, shot, fall, and release. The retrieve must also be more tuned up and back to within 3 feet and additional points for delivered to hand. As above you are also scored on steady to flush and honoring. Your dog at this level can still be ran on an e collar. The final group is the "Gun Dog Class" which is scored the same as the Shooting Dog however no e collar can be used.

I understand that this might sound like a competitive group that is focused towards trials however it is driven by fun. The trials are a welcome place for camping and fun with the family. It also is a great way to get out with your best friend during the off season and hunt quail in the cooler mountains. Take a look at the website azpdc.org and hope to see you out this summer. If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

• Like 2

We have our anual awards banquet this weekend in Scottsdale and the next meeting is on the second Tuesday of April. I have two buddies that have puppies from one of Eddie & Chrissy's litters last year both are great dogs. They have them both holding steady and retrieving really well at a year old which is pretty darn good.

• Like 1

I would love to get my Brittany and I in on this, I just don't have the time right now. I've never been to a field trial but plan on it at some point. My Brittany is out of KNine bird dogs and is very birdy, Does a decent job hunting and actually ran in the futurity back before I got him.

• Like 1

Run in hunter class it is a lot of fun plus there are a lot of guys out there to help give tips. KNine does a great job with American Brittanies they always place high in NSTRA.

• Like 1

Where is this information at? My brother has a 6 month old GSH pointer and been training him. But he has never trained a dog before. The dog is smart, points and retrieves very well, but help from experience people would truly help.

• Like 1

Go to AZPDC.Org there are several guys in the club like myself that train themselves and there are pro trainers willing to give tips. The hunter class is focused around training a dog and having nothing but fun. At the trials you can also meet up with people who train on the east valley or people looking to add people to their training group. If you look under the events tab on the left hand side you will see the trials. We just did a training day at the club level earlier this month and will normally do one in the fall. Some of the pro trainers will let you train with them for no cost. If you guys cannot make the trial come to a meeting its a good place to meet new people. If you ever have any questions shoot me a PM. Six months is a good age to start working a pup.

• Like 1

It is fun besides the shooting of bobwhite and running your dog the group of guys are fun to camp with.

Tres,

This is Dan Priest. Would like to talk to you by phone regarding your Britney.

There are also a couple other matters I would like to discuss by phone.

cell phone is. 602.448.6996

Tres,

This is Dan Priest. Would like to talk to you by phone regarding your Britney.

There are also a couple other matters I would like to discuss by phone.

cell phone is. 602.448.6996

Dan, I just left you a voicemail. Call back at any time

How active is azpdc my gsp is almost 5 months old would love to get into doing trials just don't know where to start. She is with ed Rucker right now for a 7 day puppy camp

How active is azpdc my gsp is almost 5 months old would love to get into doing trials just don't know where to start. She is with ed Rucker right now for a 7 day puppy camp

I think I saw a pic of your dog today. Azpdc is very active. Talk to Eddie he is involved in it.

• Like 1

I don't think a check cord should be allowed. That takes away from the whole hunting aspect. E collars yes, but check cords no. My heeler can be ran on a check cord and do this.

I don't think a check cord should be allowed. That takes away from the whole hunting aspect. E collars yes, but check cords no. My heeler can be ran on a check cord and do this.

Do they run them with check cords? Don't think they do.