IA Born

Black River Fishing

Hey Guys-

One of the things I've always wanted to do was take my family down to the Black to chase smallies. I've never been so I know absolutely nothing about access and any permits (tribal?) that may be necessary. Is there anyone willing to give me some info on this so I can try to plan a family weekend this summer? We'd be heading down from Flagstaff. Much appreciated.

I haven't been in several years since the fire did major damage to the fishing there. I also use to go to a place that required a good 4WD vehicle to access, but that has been graded/plowed and as a result has been over fished. I have always bought my permits at the San Carlos Apache Tribe Recreation and Wildlife in Peridot. They have been very helpful to to me in the past with both hunting and fishing permits. I'll list their website below. It contains some good info.

http://www.scatrecreation.org/

San Carlos daily fishing license is required, $10/day/person.

http://www.sancarlosapache.com/Permits_Information.htm

I haven't gone since the Wallow fire for fear of fishing not being what I grew up with. But, my group of guys started going again the last 2 years and they say there are still fish to be caught, just not near the average size there used to be. From what I understand, catch and release hasn't been practiced much from what they've seen which I would guess is slowing down the recovery. Regardless, it would still be an incredible and worthwhile experience, especially with your family.

The only thing that used to effect the quality of fishing was the flows. The first weekend in May used to be the safest weekend but in years of light runoff, you could miss the spawn. Fishing was always good, just sometimes we knew we "missed it."

I use small plastic crawfish/lizard/hellgrammite imitations and floating 2" rapalas on ultra light tackle and 4-6lb test.

One side note worth mentioning: You aren't supposed to carry a sidearm on the reservation. However, I've had more close calls with bears there than can be described in text, I've literally thrown big black boars fish from my stringer and walked slowly backwards. I've heard a few horror stories about some 2 legged trouble as well but that is just hearsay. Best of luck, sending you a pm on locations.

The permits are 20 bucks for the black river per a person.it is pretty done there take a camera.there are tons of bears so some pepper spray would be good.

We come in off the north side, White Mountain Apache license, want 4 wheel drive, lots of bears and fish. I saw 5 bears in a couple days once many years ago, one wouldn't leave us alone and came to camp every night! He new what he was doing, would climb up the tree and break the rope to make the food backpack fall... Beginning of June is usually when we hit it good.

I talked to a San Carlos G&F LEO I know yesterday (I've been fishing the Black for 30 years). He said the White Mtn tribe has done some restocking since the fire, but it isn't in the plans for the San Carlos tribe. Was told it would probably be another 2-3 years before the smallmouth fishing gets back to what it was before the fire ...

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm the sidearm thing? There ain't no way in heck I'm going in without a sidearm. Too many bears.

Don't take a sidearm. One of the wardens stopped me one time and asked if I had one. Fortunately I did not, but asked why. It has been awile and I don't remember the exact penalty, but recall it was pretty steep.

They had relaxed the side arm rules quite a bit last time I was there but it was the year of the fire. I have not been back since, still waiting for the fishing to recover.

There is a really easy way around the sidearm issue, buy a small game permit for each day and you will have no issue since you are simply carrying it for rabbits and yotes. I take one day and usually call yotes in which case I have a rifle and sometimes a sidearm both and have talked to the warden every time with hardly a question.

Don't take any UTV, ATV, or Motorcycle's they can and often will confiscate them and make you go to court to get them back. They are not allowed on the WM or SC lands.

• Like 3

San Carlos Rules and Regs are downloadable on the website http://www.scatrecreation.org a quick read through will answer the side arm question in Time & Methods, also the Black & Salt Special Use has it's own section :) Smallie fishing lower on the river has remained good during and after the Wallow fire, the Ten of Diamond's area took the biggest hit, current fishing is very very slow but camping/recreation in the area is fine.

DAN

• Like 3

We usually make a trip every year coming in from the white mountain side. Take the carrizo junction road east towards east fork. Drive around 15 miles and turn south on dirt road leading to first the white then black river. I think it's about 7 miles to the white and 9 to the black. We usually fish the white west towards the confluence with the salt river. The last two years have been poor to average at best but 3 years ago, three of us caught and released around 300 smallest in a day of fishing. We always use small bright pink jigs with pink or white small single tail grubs.

My distances are estimates but you can find the location on Google earth. Lots of rattlesnakes, bears, and some aggressive cattle. Last May a bull chased my son in law all the way into the river. I thought it was going to kill him. Buy permits at the carrizo junction store.

Good luck.

Can anyone confirm the sidearm thing? There ain't no way in heck I'm going in without a sidearm. Too many bears.

It's all back asswords like everything else these days. You cannot "legally" carry a firearm on the res. Unless ur hunting with a valid permit of course. You have no rights there but if they come here they have more rights than you.

• Like 3

I think We have less rights than illegal aliens!............BOB!

• Like 1

Carrizo junction store is closed...might open up later in the year but doesn't look like it..fishing has been fair at best the last 6-8 years...