Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

300 gr SST for elk

The elk in my avatar I used a 250 grain ShockWave. One shot through the heart at 200 yards, he went about 20 yards before falling over. The ShockWave is close to the Hornady SST. If the gun will shoot them accurately should do fine.

P.S.-The reason it was a 200 yard shot is I had him at 50 and the cap went off but not the charge. Followed him down a draw and had him at about 125 and the cap had fallen off the nipple. So sitting across a fallen tree I basically had a bench rest when I drilled him as far as I would shoot since I practiced out to 200 all the time.

• Like 1

My wife used 250gr SST on a elk a few years ago and performed great. It's really accurate out of our Muzzleloader.

I've been shooting 300 gr SST'S out of my TC behind a stout load of Blackburn 209. While I prefer to chase bulls with my bow, 2 friends have borrowed my MZL for the past 2 unit 8 cow hunts with quick clean 1 shot kills. Both were pass throughs if I remember right. I think you will be fine using them for most anything that walks in AZ.

I shoot a .54 Remington 700 MLS. I am a big fan of the Precision Rifle Dead Center bullets as well behind Buckhorn 209.

x3 for Buckhorn 209 powder, more consistent and accurate than pellets.

I am not a fan of the large cal SST bullet at all. I have killed several whitetail in NC, KY and OK with them and had poor expansion, still resulted in fatal wounds but negligible blood trails. All animals were recovered.

I would suggest looking at Harvester Bullets and Sabots.... Made in America (KY) and they have several styles from the lighter jacketed Scorpion to heavier, thick skinned game bullets. The low friction Sabots are amazing. They provide a perfect gas lock but because of the ribs you have 50% less surface area (friction) going down the bore, much less fouling etc.

i use 250 gr for any animal in AZ or the west for that matter. shot elk, mulies, whitetails, etc. never ran more than 40 yards....most dropped within 10.

if it's shooting good at 300gr i don't think it's worth redialing in the system in at a heavier bullet size.

my 2c