Sign in to follow this  
rageinthesage

Buck all finished up

This is a buck I picked up while shed hunting south of the GC a few years ago. I found the buck two days after my grandfather passed away and has alot of sentimental value to me. I am still in disbelief that I found this buck. The area I found him gets hammered with anter hunters every year.

The day was a slow day, I hadn't found a single antler in an area where I usually do really well, so it was a frustrating day up to that point to say the least. I decided to take a break and I looked up to the clear blue sky and asked gramps for a little help And that he did.

After my short break I hit a fencline and decided to follow it. About a 1/4 mile or so I found where a giant bull had jumped the fence it looked like two days before or so. I began to track the bull. While on his track I noticed some chalky bones about 20yds away under a Pinon so I headed over to investigate. When I turned the tree I couldn't believe what I found. A day I will never forget, it was an amazing day to be in the woods and I got to say goodbye to gramps.

Gramps' buck is a 7x8 with double droptines, the kicker off the back is nearly 11" long, it only has a 160" frame and with trash scores 181" and has 29 1/2 inside spread. Even though the buck is not high scoring it truly is a find of a lifetime for me.

post-2501-0-66689200-1428947307_thumb.jpeg

post-2501-0-83842800-1428948604_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Holy smokes that's an awesome buck! Great pose as well, congratulations!

Awesome, did he do some staining on the antlers for you?

Ya the antlers where chalk, so they needed to be completely restored and stained. The Cape I used is off an old buck I killed with my bow last January from the same unit, it worked out well.

That is too cool Nick. Some things are meant to be. Hope to see you soon.

Thanks for all the comments! Chris at Mount-n-view included it in the cost of the mount, not sure what he would charge to restore just the antlers.