Go2CO

Cartridge opinions

I'm having a little facelift done to an old Remington 700 and have everything in hand but haven't been able to decide what cartridge to go with. The barrel is a .257" blank and I have it narrowed down to these

25-06 AI, 257 STW, 25 Nosler.

I've shot a 25-06 Rem forever and love it but kind of want to play with something a little different. Has anyone tinkered with any of those I listed? If not which would you go with? This will be a fun deer/antelope thumper :)

The AI for sure! Not based on performance, which is great, but man will you save a lot on brass compared to the other two you listed. You will most likely also get redding comp dies right off the redding shelf but might have to wait on the others.

I vote .25-06 AI too. I have one with a 28" barrel and it shoots lights out and fast.

58.0gr. RL22 pushes a 115 Berger HVLD @ 3400fps .5 MOA. I had a load of 60.0gr. RL22 w. the 115 HVLD at 3610fps too, but it was not as accurate.

60.3gr. RL22 pushes a 100 Barnes TTSX or a 100 SMK @ 3730fps .75MOA.

Brass is way easy and cheap to find. Lasts a long time, and the 40° shoulder limits case stretch so trimming is seldom needed. No belt to mess with either. And fire-forming is very mild recoiling, and pretty accurate too at .75 MOA in my gun. 54.8gr. H4831 push a 115 Berger HVLD @ 3180fps in mine.

Plus, you can't tell me that is not a sexy cartridge!!!

20150418_111756_zpsbxhrmi0f.jpg

Yeah the AIs are sexy for sure! I have a 280AI and now want to put that shoulder on everything lol. I'm leaning toward the AI with a 26". I'll shoot probably go with the 100 grain TTSX and the 115 VLD.

The Ackley or a Weatherby the stw and nosler are going to be too overboard you won't even find a load and the barrel life is half over.

It's done. Dropped everything off. Going 25-06 AI. I'll post pictures when it's done. Thanks guys

Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles is doing the work. I can't wait to see how it turns out

I know you already made your choice and I think you made a great one. I love my .257 Weatherby but brass and powder add up for it. If you can get similar ballistics from the 25-06AI that is an awesome choice. Lets see some pics once you have it back!

I will definitely post some pictures when it's done. Any of you guys tried the JLK 108 grain VLD?? I normally shoot either Barnes 100 TTSX for their penetration/velocity at that weight. Berger 115 VLD for the high BC (they are also about the easiest bullet to make an accurate load for..bonus). I stumbled across a JLK 108 grain VLD.. Anyone played with them? At that weight it seems to be a great tweener for the velocity I like but the BC (0.500) is higher than the Berger 115 (.466). I'm not trying to do any serious long range shooting or anything but I'll take any advantage I can get

Killing yourself with .257" bullets and bcs. Step up to 6.5 or 7 or drop down to 6 and gain some impact velocity.

Good point Big or Bust. I do shoot both 6.5s and 7mm for long range paper punchin. I'm not trying to shoot game that far with this rifle, max is about 500 for me so the BC thing is pretty insignificant. I guess my thought process is why not pay the most attention to the details like bullet/BC. I'm more curious about the bullet and if anyone had tried the JLK 108. The 257 cal bullets in general have very low BC so when I see one at .500 it peaks my interest. That makes sense right?

If not concerned with BC since most bullets mentioned are vld type bullets, I'd run a hunting bullet then for 2 holes. I want exits these days.

Accubond, ttsx, etc.