CEI

Archery Elk Chest Shot by Kid. Ethical?

I think you got lucky and hit the jugular. Not a high percentage shot tho. That elk did pass quickly so I don't think ethical is a word that comes to mind.. However..DEAD<<<IS DEAD jmo

First of that was not head on, a lot of angle in there. Not sure what my decision would have been. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I have seen a lot of those type shots be successful. I wonder had it gone wrong and he ran off never to be found if opinions would be different?

• Like 1

I'd take a frontal shot any time, archery or rifle. Nothin wrong with that.

I would have personally taken that shot no problem. But, the reason I would have is because of confidence in my gear. My set up is quite a bit different than his being 29.5" draw with a 480 gr arrow at 280 fps with a slick trick broad head... a lot more likely to penetrate the chest cavity. If that were my kid, I would have a hard time giving him the green light.

• Like 2

Guest 300ultramag.

Dear Casey... Who are you???? and When did you get all grown up...talking like the rest of us grown folks...

Well put.. And glad to see you running slick tricks.. They do a good job

I personally would not take a shot like that at a big bull elk with archery tackle, but thats just me. A little coues deer or muley? You bet. It was inarguably a good and very effective shot, so I say a job well done.

Guest akaspecials

The animal was not straight on, he should NOT have shot. It's too low percentage of a shot. If he knew his bow forwards and backwards, has taken multiple animals without buck fever hitting, and the angle was good, then I'd have no issue with the shot. Too many folks see videos like this and release arrows they shouldn't. You better know your anatomy if you take that shot.

If it were my kid I'd congratulate him and then pin him down to shave his head! LOL, the shot is a lot more ethical than that mop on the top of his head!

• Like 2

This is an old video, but if you look the kid up he is no Amature. I think it was a pretty close shot too.

Bad choice in my opinion. My brother made that dumb choice and we had to follow that elk for miles. We got lucky, saw an antler sticking up, and was able to stalk and shoot again. The arrow went thru the front chest and the broadhead was near his butt. This elk could walk and avoid us without any problems.

good friend lost a 330+ bull last season with a similar shot, no blood trail to follow, turkey hunter found it a couple weeks later

and my friend is scary good with a bow

• Like 1

I have seen that video somewhere else, if I remember correctly the shot is under twenty yards. I do not see an issue with it. Personally, if the shot is executed properly there is no greater shot. The buck I took this year was hit that way with a light arrow, it cut the jugular, wind pipe, both lungs, the aorta feeding the heart, and liver stopping in the stomach. The blood trail was immense.

post-4480-0-58025100-1437401364_thumb.jpg