bojangles

trophy mule deer tag

I'm looking at holding out for a trophy mule deer tag.

I figure i can hunt archery every year until i get a trophy tag, and possibly shoot a monster on one of those hunts, too.

But if you were holding out for a trophy tag, what unit would you choose, and why?

I'm looking at 13a and 13b, but should i be shopping other units too?

what about

12a eas/west?

12b

3c

23 late?

Mind you, i want to come home with a b&c on this hunt, and i'm willing to wait for the tag.

thx!!

Most will say the 13A/13B units, and I cannot disagree with them. I also think there are some great deer in 12AE/W too, but the late hunts are the way to go for those units. There are some dandies taken off the Bab every year.

Of course, the biggest deer I have seen pictures of from last year (besides the pending P&Y world record typical from the Strip and pending SCI world record typical from the Strip) came from a desert unit. It crushes the P&Y deer in score, but it is a MONSTER non-typical. I mean MONSTER. And there were quite a few monsters taken out of the desert last year.

• Like 2

If you're willing to wait 13b is a no brainer. if you don't want to wait 15 years possibly then try those other units. But know in any of the hunts without a guide could be real difficult for a 180" buck and even with a guide you're not guaranteed to kill a b and c buck.

• Like 1

If you're willing to wait 13b is a no brainer. if you don't want to wait 15 years possibly then try those other units. But know in any of the hunts without a guide could be real difficult for a 180" buck and even with a guide you're not guaranteed to kill a b and c buck.

I didn't know a guide was that important up there. I've never hunted there so I really don't know anything about the area. I know you could spend thousands in gas just for scouting.

I would also love a huge Muley hanging on the wall. That's why I've started building points in other states. I'm not looking for a Giant. I would be REALLY happy with a 170-180 Buck. With a few points and private land access you can get something that size in a surrounding state. It should only take half the points it takes to draw an Az tag. Yes you may not have a legit chance at a 200, but a 170-180 looks just as nice on the wall to me!

Adam

• Like 1

December rifle all the way. During the rut.

When you say B&C, you're asking a lot. I would be willing to be that a B&C buck has never come out of 3c in recent times or the late 23 hunt (for the short amount of time it's been going on), that's a 195" net deer. I would also bet that even out of the strip there are only a handful a year and maybe one or two out of the 12's. I could be wrong but that is an absolute giant of a buck and if that's your goal then you better stick to the strip units, and you better hire an outfitter.

• Like 1

I didn't know a guide was that important up there. I've never hunted there so I really don't know anything about the area. I know you could spend thousands in gas just for scouting.

I would also love a huge Muley hanging on the wall. That's why I've started building points in other states. I'm not looking for a Giant. I would be REALLY happy with a 170-180 Buck. With a few points and private land access you can get something that size in a surrounding state. It should only take half the points it takes to draw an Az tag. Yes you may not have a legit chance at a 200, but a 170-180 looks just as nice on the wall to me!

Adam

This is a 170+ buck shot just north of Phoenix. Don't need to go all the way to the strip for a buck like this.

post-12458-0-06085500-1431460921_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would probably be applying every year for NM unit 2. No point game to play. And buying points in Colorado, Wyoming and UT. Spend my AZ points on a late Coues.

• Like 1

murfy, you need to dust that poor old mount! i see bucks every January that would break 180". i honestly think OTC archery hunts can be some of your best bets to kill a true giant. you get to hunt great units in the absolute best times of the year

• Like 5

There are trophy bucks all over our great state. Just have to put in the time.....and not miss em. Lol archery desert buck from January...lost a lot of sleep on this one.

good luck in the draw gentlemen!

post-9020-0-58202900-1431462645_thumb.png

• Like 1

I would probably be applying every year for NM unit 2. No point game to play. And buying points in Colorado, Wyoming and UT. Spend my AZ points on a late Coues.

Unit 2 use to be a good unit long ago. Yes there are still some big ones in there. When I hunted it ML about 12 years ago there were hunters everywhere. Go over to Bowsite and read under the mule deer forum for some recent experiences to see what I am talking about. Those were Jan. bow hunts but I have also talked to friends that rifle hunted it 2 out of the last 4 years in November. They told me a 140"-150" deer was a good deer from that unit nowadays.

I took this 186 buck in the December 23 hunt so it's definitely possible without a guide but you have to do some serious scouting

• Like 1