yotebuster

Idaho shiras moose tag!!!

A drift boat is really the only way to do that river. I'm amazed at how high they sit in the water and how easy they are to maneuver in swift water. If I ever mover back up there, this would be mu first outdoor investment. My cousins who live just outside of Idaho Falls use a Jon boat just to maneuver from one side of the river to another, but never for trips down the river. Seems like like we are putting our lives on the line every time. One of them invested in a double person pontoon for multiple day trips.

Just finally got my act together enough to write about my hunt! It turned out to be one of the most memorable hints of my life! Day one started out by hiking into a walk in area. I called a small bull in that night, which was the first moose I'd ever called in so I was relieved to know I was making the proper "moose noise".

post-2932-0-19374500-1445365019_thumb.jpg

The second day I called in another small bull, a 2x2 or 2x3. Definitely not one that I was concerned with shooting. The first two days were spent in the few foot accessible areas in the whole unit.

The next day a friend we had met on our scouting missions agreed to float us on a 15 mile stretch. I was really optimistic going into this day as I had had luck calling in two Bulls already.

post-2932-0-25657800-1445365058_thumb.jpg

We spotted a cow in the first hundred yards of our float so I was REALLY optimistic!! We spent the rest of the day floating and calling in the prettiest moose habitat I'd seen without seeing or hearing a thing! The scenery alone was worth the trip though!!

post-2932-0-54451500-1445365084_thumb.jpgpost-2932-0-83805200-1445365111_thumb.jpg

The next day we elected to float the same stretch as I had scouted it prior and knew it had to have some Bulls in it. I was worried after the previous day not seeing anything. This was the 8th day we had spent in here and still hadn't seen a bull with more then 3 pts on a side. I was really worried as our friend could only float us one more day and then we'd be left hunting on foot or from our pack rafts for the remainder of the hunt. The day started out great, we saw 5 cows and one small bull by noon. The sun was up and we were pretty sure we were done for the day but had a few miles of river left. We stopped on an island that I knew had to hold some moose and had my fiancé push it towards a funnel area. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a nice bull and two cows come trotting out of a tiny little cottonwood grove in the center of the island. The bull was the exact bull i was hoping to NOT see. He was probably 30" wide with 5 or 6 pts on each side and no front forks. Not the kind of bull I should be passing after seeing only 2 and 3 pts in 8 days of hunting, but not the kind of bull I was hoping to get for my once in a lifetime tag! About the time I was thinking about pulling the trigger the big boy popped out behind them and started heading my way. He needed no thought, judging or counting!!! This was my bull!!! He was moving in an odd run walk that only moose seem to do. He started at about 60 yds and was closing toward me. I remember thinking "I wonder if I grunt will he stop?" Then I thought "he's 30 yards and I have a shotgun with 4 slugs in it!" I swung on the crease in his shoulder and shot twice into his ribs. He didn't even break stride. He just plodded along. I swung forward a few inches and shot a third time breaking his shoulder. This turned him directly toward me. He was coming up the gravel bar at about 15 yds right at me!! My last shot went right in the chest and toppled him over on his back dead as a hammer!! What a rush! I couldn't believe how we had gone from zero to hero in a few seconds!! I text my fiancé that we had a monster down! She came running! We had a photo shoot and a cold beer (one of the perks of hunting from a boat!). We spent the next 3 hours skinning, caping and butchering. We brought a cordless sawzall with a bone blade in it and were able to take ribs, neck, and the entire short loin to be cut into tbones later. It was a chore! We were so lucky as he died 10 yds from the boat so we had a short pack!!! We loaded everything on and floated him out. My fiancé had bought me two pack rafts for my bday that we aired up and floated along the boat with. This proved crucial as we would never have gotten all of the meat and all of us on that boat! I can't think of a more incredible experience in my life then floating out on that raft with the moose on board!!!

He ended up taping out at 42" wide which is a pretty solid shiras moose from what I hear. The biologist told me he was an old bull when he checked him in. They don't take a tooth to age them so I may look at having it done myself as I'm kind of curious. He said it was one of the bigger ones to come out of that unit. It was such an awesome time, met some new friends and got to spend time in some beautiful country with my fiancé for almost two weeks what more can you ask for!!! Oh. Did I mention the t-bones!!!

post-2932-0-60735500-1445365179_thumb.jpg

post-2932-0-94504700-1445365220_thumb.jpg

post-2932-0-77170200-1445365257_thumb.jpg

post-2932-0-75461800-1445365297_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Nice work bud! Hope to be like you someday! ;)

You don't wanna be wishing that. I refer all those bratty little kids to the dentist down the street!! You'd go broke in a hurry if you gave up as fast as I do!!! I may need to borrow your mad buffalo and goulds skills one of these

days hopefully!

Congrats. Nice story and pics. Can't believe it took 4 slugs to take it down. That's awesome.

Nice shiras moose. Congrats I love moose meat one of my favs. barbecue.gifThe t bones look to good. Good job in getting it done.

Nice work bud! Hope to be like you someday! ;)

You don't wanna be wishing that. I refer all those bratty little kids to the dentist down the street!! You'd go broke in a hurry if you gave up as fast as I do!!! I may need to borrow your mad buffalo and goulds skills one of these

days hopefully!

Those kids are easier than the whiny adults!

You draw a Goulds or Buff tag and we will head out and add to your collection.

Great job .I was worried for you as I know it co be a tough hunt .Big congratulations..... Bob!

Congratulations on a stud bull! Awesome pictures as well. Way to go all the way around.

Great story and a heck of an adventure.

Did you happen to recover any of your bullets?

Great story and a heck of an adventure.

Did you happen to recover any of your bullets?

I did find 3 of the 4. I'll post pics next weekend.