Sign in to follow this  
Mathews22009

350 class

I have read a lot of post and have talked to a lot of people, a 350 bull is average?? Now I have killed a few Bulls with my bow and know how hard it is to close the gap with a bull of that class! Now can anyone tell me why and how a 350 bull is a easy feat? I know a few folks get lucky and bag a bull of that caliber, but let's be let me know if I'm wrong but a bull 350 class is an amazing feat and anyone who kills a bull of that class should be proud and humble...... Just my opinion!!

• Like 7

If 350 is average then I hope I kill an average bull this year.I know what you mean thou,that number gets thrown around like there all over the place.maybe I'm not in the right place very often

• Like 1

A 350 bull is a big bull! A lot of very good hunters never get a 350 bull. It takes skill and luck and there is nothing average about it.

I have seen several guys claiming to have a 350 bull, but they just don't. Many nice 320 class bulls have been labeled as 350's.

• Like 6

I'd say average size bull is much smaller than 350. Throughout the US I'd bet average bull size with a bow is like 300". A 350" bull with your bow is a great feat. Imagine how many hunters are out there and how many bulls over 350 have ever been killed. I'm no expert but I'd bet less than 10% of elk bowhunters kill 350 bulls or bigger. A few guys have killed multiple 380 400+ bulls so I guess to them a 350 bull isn't anything special But to most hunters it's quite an accomplishment. I killed a 370 bull two years ago with my bow and drew a tag this year and wouldn't hesitate to shoot a 350 bull this year.

• Like 4

Anyone wanna guess on this one? If 350 class is an average class bull then count me in on every bull I can take for the rest of my life. Man this is gonna be an interesting thread

post-8631-0-81810200-1431832255_thumb.jpg

Most peoples' 350 bulls are really 310 bulls.

That is very true

• Like 1

Here is a test. These are three Bulls we took in the last two years. Which one is a 350?

1) My 2013 Septeber Archery bull

post-2989-0-46869500-1431834010_thumb.jpg

2) Garrett's 2013 November bull

post-2989-0-46643300-1431834086_thumb.jpg

3) Chrystie's 2014 November bull

post-2989-0-17616000-1431834163_thumb.jpg

Be careful, photos can be deceptive.

I would say #3 based on the thirds, but I just look for a legal elk.

• Like 1

#2 looks bigger but #1 has more mass. I'll go 1. He!! They may all be equal for all I know? Which one tasted better? That's all I care about (after I kill one big bull! Haha!!)

1 and 3 were both pretty tasty and tender. 2 was skinny and tough...you can see how drawn down he was in the photo. His hind quarters were quite thin.

All 3 bulls look around the 340 class to me.

.........but 350 really isn't that big of a challenge ........that is......... if you are throwing hand grenades!

As stated before, last year was the worst year for horn quality in unit #27 that I had observed in over 40 years. A 340 bull last year was definitely one not to pass up. Looks like this year should be back to normal or above average hopefully

• Like 1