Sign in to follow this  

morels

wherever we go we try to get some of the local flavor while we're there and we always try to live off the land when it's possible. it's morel season here right now. tromped all over the hardwoods around the place we're renting a bunch and found nothin'. yesterday my wife found a bunch growing within a few feet of the house. cooked em up last night. what a treat. one of the most interesting flavors i've ever encountered. now i understand why morel season is such a big deal here. if you ever get that chance, try em. really good. hope we find some more. Lark.

• Like 2

When I lived in Ohio as a kid my dad would bring wash tubs full of mushrooms home for us kids to clean. I wish I knew which ones to pick out here.

TJ

• Like 1

Always horror stories about bad mushrooms. Any advice on how to tell good from bad? Pictures? Always wanted to cook up some, years ago I met a guy in Parks that collected mushrooms , sliced and sautéed in butter he said they were delicious !

I spent a summer up in Idaho north of Boise years ago. The locals up there went crazy over them. I thought they were pretty good. The ones we picked were Christmas tree shaped and kind of a vanilla color. We found them in heavily shaded areas of the woods that had lots of moisture and moss. I have never seen them in AZ.

We picked some a few years back in unit 10. About an hour later we all saw a 728" bull and three pink elephants. :wacko: :blink: They were great even without cooking them.

• Like 1

hey murf, them kinda mushrooms are worth a lotta money. you shoulda sold em to some hippies. morels typically have the profile of a xmas tree. only they look like a sponge. some of them were round and other odd shapes. and they taste incredible. i hope we find some more. there are a several kinda mushrooms in Az that are save and good to eat, just be careful. Lark.

• Like 1

They have a good book on ebay that lists good pictures and what to look for so ya don't eat the wrong ones and die. or see strange things. Morels are great .270

After a few monsoon seasons up in the mountains and seeing tons of different mushrooms I started studying up so I could use them for dinner. Here are some great books. I suggest using a field guide since there is just too much room for error.

post-10379-0-24151400-1432223576_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My group found a couple this weekend. They went real good with the pasta sauce!