Sign in to follow this  
Couescrazy33

spot satellite

Anyone use these? How well do they work. What are the pro's and con's? Looking at getting one for my father as he is getting older and goes out by himself a lot without telling anyone.

Thx

i have one,the newer small version. Ive been with them for about 8 years or so.I won't go out without it as I am mostly solo.my wife can track me in real time.It is great peace of mind for myself ,but the peace of mind that my better half gets is priceless.I even leave it on while driving out of state.super easy to use!

I haven't used the spot. When I was shopping for a device to bring out in the field I did my research and wasn't impressed with spot. The reliability is questionable and there is a subscription cost to it. I ended up buying an ACR PLB (personal locating beacon) ResQLink. It is more expensive ($250) but there is no subscription and it uses the military homing beacons and military GPS for emergency rescue in the field. I had to register my device with the NOAA with emergency contact numbers, ect. This is the same device professionals use at sea, but it's the land version. Outdoor gear lab gave it the editors choice award for personal locating beacon. If you use it and are rescued, ACR will give you a new one free. Only downside? You can't send messages like the spot. If you are only worried about rescue in a life or death situation get the ResQLink

http://m.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

http://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-Personal-Locating-Beacon/dp/B005E1OU1A

http://youtu.be/9C7UiFe_hRk

i have been using the spot since the beginning about 8 years or more, always worked and never had a reliability problem, it always worked great, i would recommend it.

I really like my inReach. You have texting and the SOS button. Plus, you can do a month to month contract. I used in Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Works great.

Brent

• Like 1

Maximus how much does ur plan run?

Cohofishing, how much is there plan? Does it send GPS coordinates if needed in a message? I'll have to look into that one as well

Thx for the replies

I have both a Spot and an Iridum Satellite phone. In my opinion the biggest down side to the Spot is that there is no way to know for sure that your message was received on the other end. In addition there are places with an obstructed view to the sky where it won't work at all. With that said even my sat phone won't work everywhere. In both cases it's also important to remember that they both require a person to operate them, and if you are traveling alone and have an accident or medical condition that incapacitates you they're both useless. As long as you're aware of their limitations they're better than nothing!

Maximus how much does ur plan run?

Cohofishing, how much is there plan? Does it send GPS coordinates if needed in a message? I'll have to look into that one as well

Thx for the replies

my plan runs 127.33 a year with the rescue included, so far nothing happen and didn't have to use it, and want to keep it like that.so far everytime i send a signal it worked.

• Like 1

I was doing their monthly freedom plan. $14.95 a month. I was planning to use only for out of state back packing trips but ended up keeping the contract through the Arizona January season. The messages are shown on a map when you send them so I am sure a person can get the lat and longs. It is pretty cool how anyone that you are messaging can follow you whole trip on Google earth. I think the "spot" does the same thing.

Brent

SPOTs are great. I've used the old ones for years, make my wife use one when we are in the woods, or if I take a 5+ mile hike alone or with friends. The old ones work really well. I heard of issues with the new, smaller ones. Likely with anything these days, hopefully it was software issues, and the bugs have been worked out by now. A friend of mine who hikes 10+ miles regularly spotted recently for help and we went to go get him, he had a bad battery at a trailhead after a long hike.