Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Goat Check

I was able to get up north for Memorial Weekend to look at some goats before my hunt this year. Just wante to know what you guys think of this buck since I have such a hard time judging them. He was with 8 other very small bucks which makes me think he just looks big compared to them.

post-4673-0-62518600-1432851568_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-82256000-1432851640_thumb.jpgpost-4673-0-16472300-1432851687_thumb.jpg

I can post more pictures of him if these angles aren't good enough.

To me it seems he has pretty good cutters and mass but the mass seems to disappear above his cutters. Curious to know what you guys with more experience think.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Pass on him. I would think, and I stink at gauging pronghorn, that he is a mid 60s-70" buck?

• Like 1

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's a great looking buck and would look even better on your wall.

• Like 4

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I think it's a great looking buck and would look even better on your wall.

True but Ive waited too long to shoot a dink because of inexperience. After 17 years I hope to put the best goat on the wall I can find and I still have lots of time.

• Like 2

post-4673-0-77495100-1437281463_thumb.jpg

I didn't get much for pictures on this buck, but do you guys think this is more of what i should be looking for? Think he might hit the 75 mark?

• Like 5

That's a solid buck and my 10 second evaluation has him easily beyond 75. Keep this in mind: ears are roughly 6 inches long, eyes are 1.5"-2" wide. You need a buck that has prongs 1-2" above the ear, twice the width of his eye at the base and with prongs at least an inch longer than his ear measured from the back of the horn.

That kind of analysis takes more than one angle and some time. But this is a good buck you should keep track of.

• Like 4

Thanks for all the responses. i think I've looked at close to 15 bucks so far this year and have found 2 so far that really stand out. Guess I'll just keep looking for another month and a half to see if I can turn anything bigger up.

Might be time to pul the plug on this truck. Running through cv axels like they're going out of style.