AZBUCKEYE

Time for a new tuck Diesel or Gas

This is the breat down of diesel VS gas. If you pull 10K on a regular basis then diesel is the way to go. If not then get a gas truck. The issue with Diesel isn't the cost of the oil change. It is the cost of a major break down. When (not if but WHEN) a diesel engine breaks down it costs a bunch to fix. I've had multiple bills in the $1500-4200 range to fix a diesel engine. Now keep in mind that isn't replacing the engine but just fixing it. Diesel engines don't last forever either. When they need to be replaced they are about 3 times as expensive to replace. But that won't happen until the 250K miles or more and I don't think most are going to be driving their trucks at that time.

The biggest cost of ownership is the drop in value of a $60,000.00 truck. In a few years the truck is going to be worth half that and the cost of the oil change truely is the least of a persons problems if they are looking at the cost of ownership. The largest cost of ownership is the drop in value.

With that said you can't find a gas motor that will hold a candle to a diesel when it comes to pulling a trailer. I've got a chevy with the 8.1 motor in it right now and it pulls great but it doesn't pull like a diesel. Not even close. I go a bit slower and my MPG are a bit lower but I still get there in one piece.

I've got a diff take on diesel dodges. I know 4 people with the dodge diesel including me , my brother, and 2 friends. Regular oil changes and such. MY first motor went out at 102k and the second motor dodge installed went out at 250k. Mine was a 2005. My brothers 2006 dodge diesel motor went out at 110k. Both of my friends dodge diesel motors went out before 180k miles. Next to no towing on all trucks. so out of the 4 trucks doge diesel powered none of the motors lasted longer than a 180k miles and averaged around 140k on the motors. When a diesel dodge goes out its almost a cash for clunkers situation also with a reman motor costing 11 to 12 k installed. if youve got tons of money and its out of warranty its ok , but if you dont be prepared for some serious debt. I run into dodge guys all the time raving about the motors and i bust out my stats on the 4 friends including family and me that have had the diesel dodge. It takes more than a 12 pack to stomach a 11k bill when your out of warranty. If i wasnt towing i wouldnt even consder spending the extra 10k or more for the diesel option, unless selling it before a 100k miles.

I work for a freight company and the yard tractors that move trailers around the yard in and out of the dock use that same basic Cummins motor. They run all day long, year after year. Is Dodge running bigger turbos to get more boost to produce more power and as a result sacrificing engine lifespan?

It was suggested to me by a mechanic - that people whom buy the big diesel trucks and do not really tow with them - end up having engine problems more so than trucks that pull day in and day out.

they are made to tow heavy loads- not just a drive around " I look Good " city truck

It was suggested to me by a mechanic - that people whom buy the big diesel trucks and do not really tow with them - end up having engine problems more so than trucks that pull day in and day out.

they are made to tow heavy loads- not just a drive around " I look Good " city truck

Get a new mechanic

My 6.0 l Ford psd is closing in on 250k miles. Still running great. Hasn't been in the shop for anything inn the last 14 months. It is supposedly the worst diesel engine of all time, with the Cummins the best of all time...hmmm. That being said, my next truck will be a gasser. 6.4 hemi, 2500 Ram. Good value, less to maintain, only give up a little bit on the towing end of things. My heaviest tow is my 6500# travel trailer. Just my 2 cents worth.

Whoever said their dream truck would have the Cummins engine with the Allison transmission in a Ford truck, I second it. I have owned all at one time or other. I have no problems with my current 012 Ram with the Cummins, EXCEPT Ram's notorious tendency to have rattles, wind leaks. screws falling out etc. I also have a 2014 1500 withe the 5.7 Hemi. Both trucks rattle and both have less than 50k on them, Both will develop wind whistles in the doors at high speeds in a cross wind, both have had to have the drivers window replaced due to the guides scratching the glass, and both still rattle in the drivers doors after window replacements. For the freaking price, you would expect them to hold together a bit better.

That being said, to the original question, the diesel will out pull the biggest gas engines, and run cooler which is a big thing here in AZ in the summer time. I have never seen a diesel on the side over heated during the summer. A 3/4 or 1 ton is a must, almost every roll over with a toyhauler you see on I 17 involves a 1/2 ton that some goomba though t would pull his loaded 25 foot hauler "just fine". I plan on buying "one more" diesel in life before I retire. My wife says I started saying that 4 trucks ago. However, I about vomit in my mouth when I see a truck that costs more than my first house. Leaning to Ford, but really like the looks of the new GM, but GM's tend to be pretty spongy in the rear end when towing, but ride sooo nice unloaded. Glad I'm not in a big hurry.

I have 2014 F250 6.7 , complete delete !!! Picked up another 100 Hp , this thing is unreal power now . Going to Flagstaff 22 mpg , coming back 26 mpg . Complete delete will save your motor !!!!! No more pig urine ( DEF )

I have 2014 F250 6.7 , complete delete !!! Picked up another 100 Hp , this thing is unreal power now . Going to Flagstaff 22 mpg , coming back 26 mpg . Complete delete will save your motor !!!!! No more pig urine ( DEF )

what else did the programming do besides ridding you of urea?