AZBUCKEYE

Time for a new tuck Diesel or Gas

Unless you are pulling a lot of weight, a lot of the time, check out the Tundras with the 5.7 motor and 6 speed auto transmission. They are not as fancy on the interior as some of the others, but a rock solid truck with all kinds of power. I tow boats and small trailers here and there, but can't justify another diesel. They are nice, but 15-20k buys you a lot of gas, which is the jump up to any new diesel. I paid $33k for my 4wd Tundra, way less than any diesel.

For 6k you can put the TRD super charger on them too and have 600 HP. Hate to think what the towing mileage would be though? Ouch!

I know there are guys that just can't buy a Toyota for whatever reason, but Tundras are as American made as any brand out there. Made in the great state of Texas. As far as Toyota truck being overbuilt and solid? Anyone that questions that, is just plain uneducated.

If you go Diesel, it's hard to beat the Dodge. Cummins motors are amazing, not sure I could trust what ford or Chevy has to offer when dishing out 50k +. My family has always been ford people, but I had a 6liter power stroke and that will forever have me pissed off at ford. My cousin had 2 of the Chevy diesels with the Allison tranny. Nice trucks but he had a lot of stupid little problems you shouldn't have on a vehicle you paid 60 K for.

• Like 1

Havasuhunter, that's a great deal on your tundra. I couldn't find a price like that on a crew cab 4x4 tundra. I was trying to work with Hatch Toyota up here in Showlow but they literally tried scewing me over. After working with multiple toyota dealers I ended up buying a dodge Cummings for the same price as a tundra.

Heres the deal with these 1/2 ton over weighted dudes, ("dont do it") they have the motor but not the stability, I see um wrecked all the time!!!!

Dont forget about that, a 3/4 ton truck is way mroe stable pulling than a 1/2 ton. Just pulling my old bass boat i could tell a big diference. My half ton would wiggle and move alot on rough roads where as my 3/4 didnt.

Also you might get away with the gas motor but your going to be pegging that sucker up any hill and its going to downshift every 10 seconds. Zero torque on the top end with gas.

Diesel has soooo much torque you just set cruise at 60 and rpm at 2000 and up any hill you go.

• Like 2

i had a guy wanting to trade in a tundra trd 4x4 crew cab the other day. ran the auction reports....never buying a tundra. market is soft as heck on those.

Havasuhunter, that's a great deal on your tundra. I couldn't find a price like that on a crew cab 4x4 tundra. I was trying to work with Hatch Toyota up here in Showlow but they literally tried scewing me over. After working with multiple toyota dealers I ended up buying a dodge Cummings for the same price as a tundra.

Bought my Tundra in MT. It's not a crew max, but the 4 door with regular sized bed. Most dealers in MT don't even have 2WD trucks on their lot, so they don't act like a 4WD truck is some special order item with a huge extra premium like they do in AZ and CA.

As said said above. If pulling something heavy a lot, get a diesel and a 3/4 or 1 ton chassis. For occasionally pulling a small trailer or bass boat sized boat, you will gain no advantage over a half ton IMO. I've driven all over the country, in all terrain and climates in a wide variety of vehicles and stand by that statement.

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with any new truck they are all fantastic. Spend a lot of time on test drives the seats in some are like rocks to me.

My dad has a gas motor 6.2 f250 and it tows great. I have diesel f250 6.7 and it tows better. Fuel economy almost equal.

Running from here to az strip was 15 hours in drivers seat and no fatigue. I have driven Chevys and dodges and seats are terrible but everyone is different. I have work for dealerships as a mechanic for 18 years and have my own shop now there is just higher cost with diesel repairs and all of them break.

I have been pretty much the norm for 7.3's in repairs. Two injectors 7 years ago at about 200K and an alternator about the same time. Two water pumps, two glow plug relays, on the third serpentine belt but never had one fail. Replaced radiator at about 230K and degas bottle a couple of years before that.

Just replaced all injectors and glow plugs a few months ago and replaced the pickup in the fuel tank and steering box in the spring. Replaced one front hub, still on the original transmission at 268K. If you run a diesel look into adding a bypass oil filter and it will double or triple the miles between oil changes.

My truck is 15.5 years old and I can't imagine driving anything else. You can do most all of the repairs yourself but it is almost impossible to find a shop that can correctly diagnose problems and then do the repairs without messing something else up or just doing it 90% of the way.

i had a guy wanting to trade in a tundra trd 4x4 crew cab the other day. ran the auction reports....never buying a tundra. market is soft as heck on those.

Seriously? They have higher resale value than the other 1/2 tons from what I've seen. The TRD series are a waste of money though. You can put the same stuff on yourself cheaper.

I have owned 3 diesel trucks. Dodge 99, Ford 2004, and Chevy 2007 classic. The ford 6.0 was a nightmare. The dodge was awesome just not enough power. The chevy is my favorite. (power and did I say fast, but I hate the front end, nothing stock on it now)

Diesel all the way for sure, but the new exhaust fluid seems like a pain.

Dream truck: Ford body, cummins engine, and Alison transmission. I guy can dream.

I got to say that the dodge looks sexy lifted..

If I don't get a diesel I am getting a dodge power wagon.

• Like 1

We just bought a 5th wheel trailer. I towed it up north to 6A over the last holiday weekend and I was SO impressed by our ’13 6.7l. Our new 5th wheeler is just over 13k dry and 37ft long. After the boss loads it up I figure it has to be close to 15K. On the way up and back I set the cruise control at 60mph and never messed with it again. The turbo gauge moves around on the hills and the occasional down shift were the norm but it NEVER dropped below the setting of the cruise control! Very Cool! Mileage is approx 15 around town and 10-11 towing the 5th wheel. Most importantly is felt great, stable and SAFE.

In our caravan up north our neighbor was pulling his new 27ft TT which is approx 8500lbs with his “faithful” Chevy 2500 with a gas motor. It has approx 100k miles on it. Poor guy was stuck going 25-35mph on the big hills. Key here is that his truck is rated for MUCH more but it still had a hard time. He is now looking for a ¾ ton diesel.

More D