Sign in to follow this  
Sneaker

Best way to review SD cards in field

I'm trying to find a quick way to review my pictures in the field to see if the camera is at a spot worth leaving or not. What do you use?

I thought maybe a cheap tablet that has an SD card slot built in could do the trick, but not sure since cheap tablets only have like 8gb of onboard memory anyway, would they even open and process pictures for viewing if they were on a 16bg sd card?

• Like 1

I've always used my compact digital camera, works great.

• Like 1

^same here. I'll use my Nikon coolpix to check the angle when I set it up and then I will usually swap the card when I check it but I'll bring the coolpix to look at the pictures before walking out.

You can use an iPad or phone with an adaptor like you mentioned. I end up taking my laptop in my pack now since it is just way easier. I can move all the files and erase the card all at once so it just make things easier. You could buy a $200 laptop and use it just for your hunting stuff, DVD drive wold give you movies as well.

• Like 2

I used to use a cheap digital camera but then my wife bought me an IPad mini and I just use that now and I always carry my laptop for work in my truck and use that also.

I have always just used my little digital Nikon camera.

+1 on the laptop. I haul mine in every setup

Who can wait til you get back to the truck or house to check out the pics... that would drive me nuts!!

If you use and android phone and do not want to switch out SD cards all the Time ... this is a good solution - 500GB portable drive that transfers all your photos in minutes and allows you to hook to your android smart phone to view.. at home it hooks to PC as an external Hard Drive so you can transfer all and/or delete the pics you do not care for ... lots of benefits to doing it this way IMO

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1077915-REG/digital_foci_p31_500_photo_safe_ii_on.html