Sign in to follow this  
Explorer

Need advice

So my son is hoping to draw his first deer tag this year. He has seen a video where someone gets "scoped" and is fearfull of shooting a highpower rifle now. Darned internet!! Any tips? He shoots his scoped 22lr just fine.

I'm definitely no expert, but a few things I would watch-out for are eye relief on the scope set-up for the rifle he is shooting (how close does he place his eye to the scope). Maybe sure he tells you that he is seeing the entire pictures, and not just partial view through the scope. Next, I would have him be sure he is aware and keeps a snug hold on the rifle. Finally, plenty of time at the range to practice! ;)

Have fun and good luck!!

S.

:)

PS: I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've been around LOTS of kids shooting over the years and have only seen ONE get 'scoped'. He had not received good instruction ahead of time.

Good scope with lots of eye relief and a rifle with little or no recoil.

A .223 to start out with is awesome and can use it for deer with the proper bullets.

I started my son out with a .243 and he loves it, 2 years ago he shot a coues at 400 with it.

He's shooting 80 grain TTSX's and a 3.5-10 leupold scope with a CDS dial, a winning combination for him.

simple - mount the scope properly - meaning have enough eye relief

****** MAKE SURE HE MOUNTS THE GUN TO HIS SHOULDER PROPERLY *******

scope bite should never be a problem if scope is mounted right and he learns to hold the gun securely and properly !

no quick shots - firm -secure rest before shooting - I never allowed off hand shooting for my son - at 10 he always shoot .308 or at 12 - 30-06 never had a problem

Its like sticking your tongue on a frozen light pole. Usually happens only once.

post-10954-0-64211400-1435680663_thumb.jpg

make sure the rifle closely fits his size. i would get a .243 and start with lighter loads with lighter bullets. like a 60 grain bullet at 3000 fps.