Sign in to follow this  
archerman

Upcoming Buffalo Hunt

Hello all,

I was fortunate enough to draw a Buff tag this year!!! Woohoo!! Still can't believe it.

My question is this....for anyone who has tried it, is the meat too lean to do regular steak cuts and roasts like Elk is? I have found that elk is just to lean and makes for dry/tough steaks and roasts (other than the backstraps and tenderloins of course). Trying to figure out how to process if I am fortunate enough to get one.

Also, if someone has done the Rock House herd hunt before.....any help on where to start/tips would be greatly appreciated.

GPS coordinates will be bribed for in Bison steaks and burger!! :)

I will be scouting every available weekend until the hunt.

Thanks much.

P.S.

I will be listening to Russ's pod cast numerous times and will try contacting him direct also as I heard he is a great guy and willing to supply some info.

I am hoping for intel from others as well though.

I know it's hard to resist scouting but keep in mind you don't want to push the herd back into the park before the hunt. This hunt is different than most hunts I think most of your scouting should be on the computer looking at Google earth or talking with people who have hunted before you. I drew the muzzy hunt sept 11th-24th if my hunt is before yours I will be glad to share any info I can with you.Try to make it to the g & f clinic in August they will confirm that to much scouting can be counter productive.

There are multiple hunts there now with the new structure that started last year so they will have plenty of pressure even if you don't go up and do alot of scouting

Out of respect for the archery hunters that will be hunting before me I will not be up scouting during their hunt.

• Like 4

That is a good point jmall.....I'll have to keep that in mind.

Still going to go a few times though as scouting is part of the draw of hunting for me.

Any information you would share from your hunt would be greatly appreciated.

And GOOD LUCK on your hunt!!!

• Like 1

archerman, to answer your first question, the meat is DYNOMITE! I am still eating off of my 2014 January kill, had loin steak Friday, and London Broil Sunday. Roasts are fantastic as well., the burger meat will spoil you for life. I used a processor. I cut my own deer, but gave up on elk due to size, and a buffalo was out of the question. My back gets too sore working over a cutting table.

• Like 1

Meat is awesome , doing my 3rd hunt in 2016. I always do regular cuts about 1in thick. Lots of burger and jerky. Better then beef. Yes lean . Enjoy

Yeah, I talked to the Carl @ the game and fish.. He highly advises to not drive anywhere near the boundry and limit scouting as much as possible.

I always walk my own road too but this hunt is different. You bust them back in the park and you can have a 3 week hunt without a single buffalo to hunt... I am learning all this now, so I don't want to sound like an expert. BUT When the G&F insists you don't scout, I would consider it. Its amazing to me to think 1 guy out of 10 can ruin the hunt for everyone.

Yeah, I talked to the Carl @ the game and fish.. He highly advises to not drive anywhere near the boundry and limit scouting as much as possible.

I always walk my own road too but this hunt is different. You bust them back in the park and you can have a 3 week hunt without a single buffalo to hunt... I am learning all this now, so I don't want to sound like an expert. BUT When the G&F insists you don't scout, I would consider it. Its amazing to me to think 1 guy out of 10 can ruin the hunt for everyone.

Just out of curiosity can you scout the Grand Canyon side of the fence to see where the highest density is?

• Like 1

Correction.....I got the 9-11-15 muzzleloader cow hunt.

Anyone have any ideas where I can find a map of the salt licks and water holes on the huntable land? I already have a North Kaibab NFS map.