rossislider

7mm Mag Tikka t3 Load Data?

New Tikka T3X Lite Stainless 7MM Rem Mag. I've got about 16 factory rounds (11 Winchester 150 grain power points, and 5 Hornady 162 grain SST's) through the new barrel. Gathered data and adjusted the trigger down to 2.2 pounds. It's at the Smith getting fitted for a muzzle brake. When I get it back, I want to begin working up some loads for it. Any pet load updates from the Tikka 7MM fellers out there that have been working for you?

60 grains IMR4350, 160 gr Accubond, CCI Mag primer. Winchester and Federal cases provided equal results.

Forgot about this thread. Here is what I ended up with:

Exactly 71 grains or Retumbo out of Hornady brass with Federal Match large magnum primers and 168 grain Berger VLDs. Set to magazine length. I am getting an average speed 2799 fps and shooting just under 1/2 MOA. It has been a great and accurate load for me. I had a 1 shot kill with it on my mule deer 2.5 years ago at 550 yards.

• Like 1

I tried everything to get retumbo to work with my Sako 7m and Berger 168g. After a lot of effort, I moved to 7828ssc 64g, 168g Bergers, and Winchester mag primers with great success.

I tried everything to get retumbo to work with my Sako 7m and Berger 168g. After a lot of effort, I moved to 7828ssc 64g, 168g Bergers, and Winchester mag primers with great success.

That's a slow powder. I like RL19 or 22.

I have had good luck with RL22, RL23, RL26, and of course, H1000. My personal load is a 180 Hybrid over 69.0gr. H1000 @ 2996fps.

• Like 1

My guess is 2950 based on many charts but I would love to chronograph it if someone wants to try it and chrono it I would meet them at Usery!

The reason I tried 7828ssc is because I was having soo much trouble with retumbo that I bought a box of hsm 168 g Berger and opened them to try and find something close to their powder. I know they don't buy the stuff off the shelf but after going through 100 rounds and not getting the groups I wanted I was desperate. The powder inside closely matched in tint and size of 7828ssc and when I had someone else shoot my load and the hsm load out of my rifle it grouped under an inch at 100 for me and the unknowing participant in my experiment!

Forgot about this thread. Here is what I ended up with:

Exactly 71 grains or Retumbo out of Hornady brass with Federal Match large magnum primers and 168 grain Berger VLDs. Set to magazine length. I am getting an average speed 2799 fps and shooting just under 1/2 MOA. It has been a great and accurate load for me. I had a 1 shot kill with it on my mule deer 2.5 years ago at 550 yards.

Old thread I know, but what changed from your first test? It looks like you started with 71gr at mag length. How'd you get that same load from 1MOA down to 1/2MOA?

Any problem stabilizing the 168 with the Tikka?

I have a sako which is just a heavier tikka same shop standards etc. I was all over the map until I switched away from retumbo and I loaded 110 attempts trying to dial it in over a few months. 7828ssc was a game changer for me.

With two fall hunts this year, I'm bumping this to the top.

Thanks to those that have shared to get me started.

Any new loads for the 7MM tikka out there?

The OP reports quite a bit of jump with Bergers loaded to mag. length. Possibly, he could try single loading the first round, seated out far enough to get better accuracy, then have the mag. (and a couple spares!) loaded with 168s set to mag. length, or 140 gr. seated out for minimal jump. Has anyone ever tried that? It does complicate things somewhat.

With a light rifle like the T3, 450 yds. is still a respectable distance from a field position. First round hits are always best, as that light skinny barrel is going to heat up fast. Beyond that distance, it would be most helpful to have an eagle-eyed spotter, calm nerves, and a rock-solid rest. Oh, and swap out the trigger spring for one of the after market kits. The 1 1/2 - 2 lb. reduction in weight is helpful.

forepaw

On 4/5/2018 at 8:15 AM, Sparkitoff said:

60 grains IMR4350, 160 gr Accubond, CCI Mag primer. Winchester and Federal cases provided equal results.

What COAL are you using in your Tikka?  Just curious, I had some promising results using 60 grains of IMR7828, 160 gr Accubonds with a COAL at 3.291 yesterday.