joelpresmyk8

Just getting into muzzleloader any suggestions

Hey everyone. I would like to get into the muzzleloader Scene and have absolutely no knowledge as far as they go. I would really love some input as far as a starting point muzzleloader that is accurate but won't break my wallet. Thanks for any help!

Tc encore fx. They're a little more expensive but worth it. I've been around 2 different cva's and one traditions and all had issues with the hammers not falling properly and had to be sent back. They are so simple, literally and barrel hammer and trigger so I guess there's no excuse for them not working in my opinion. I know a lot of guys that love cva and traditions. I think accuracy wise it doesn't matter much since it's just a barrel but I would spend the extra $100 and get an encore fx. You won't regret it.

Ok awesome thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. That's a good starting point for me!

I have an encore pro hunter that I may be selling. I bought an ultimate arms muzzleloader last year so I was thinking of selling my old one. The pro hunter is convertible to a center fire so they are more expensive. I think you can get an encore fx for $499 new. That's a heck of a good gun. A comparable cva or traditions would be $300-400 but in my opinion (from the problems I've seen with them) money well spent to go TC. Another thing to keep in mind is most of the cva and traditions are made in Brazil and even though they look stainless they are actually nickel plated steel which I don't like personally. I would look into blackhorn 209 as well. I've had really good luck with precision muzzleloading bullets as well. As a rule stay away from soft ez load sabots as they tend to be inconsistent. If you go to the precision bullets site they talk about this and it makes a lot of sense.

I did a ton of research when I was purchasing a muzzleloader. I would say that after the Ultimate Muzzleloader the Knight and Thompson Center muzzleoaders are the best. I ended up going going with a Knight because I felt like from all that I had read they would be the more accurate gun. The biggest con to the Knight muzzleoader is their cap system besides that I have been very pleased with mine. The Knights are a little bit heavier if I remember right too. Well there's my two cents.

Wesley

• Like 1

yote buster, How do you like the Remington ultimate muzzle loader? Are you getting consistent groups past 200 yards? and what about 300? I am looking to buy one but I am skeptical about their accuracy and their priming system. Can you order more casings from Remington? If your getting great groups past 200 what load and bullets are you using. I have been eyeballing this muzzy for some time, but have not heard any solid reviews from guys that own one. Thanks

yote buster, How do you like the Remington ultimate muzzle loader? Are you getting consistent groups past 200 yards? and what about 300? I am looking to buy one but I am skeptical about their accuracy and their priming system. Can you order more casings from Remington? If your getting great groups past 200 what load and bullets are you using. I have been eyeballing this muzzy for some time, but have not heard any solid reviews from guys that own one. Thanks

I actually bought one from ken Johnston before Remington bought the patent from him. I think they are very similar and about 1/2 or less money. I absolutely love this thing. It'll hold 1.5 Moa out to 400. It has the same energy at the muzzle as a .338 win mag with a 300. I'm shooting the bullets I got from ken, they're 300gr ballistic tips, I know he buys them and repackages rhem and sells them for more. I use three magnum 777 pellets as that's what he builds them for. I prefer blackhorn but haven't haf time to try it yet with this gun. I chronyed it since I didn't believe the hype and I got exactly what they said, 2350 with 300gr and an ES of like 20fps. Very impressive. I noticed the Remington doesn't have a muzzle break. I would think it would be an animal without one so figure that into the cost for sure. I love the priming system, .45 win mag cases are all they are so you don't have to buy the name brand ones. It obviously works better then a 209 at fully burning all powder as I've found that no matter how much 777 or blackhorn you put in a TC with a 209 primer you tend to run out of barrel before burning it all. Seems like about 120 gr is about max velocity and then you just start making a bigger mess of your barrel.

I have the Remington ultimate. So far way better than any other muzzleloader I have had. I haven't tinkered too much with it. with the BH powder I can reload it over and over and over again without any problems. I was shooting 3 inch groups at 300 yards with Parker ballistic extreme 300 grn bullets with I think 105 grns by weight of BH. Factory trigger was crap so I put a new trigger in it. Haven't shot it since then but I'm thinking my group sizes should shrink without having to yank on the trigger to get it to go off. Lol

Still have some tinkering to do. But the Remington primer case things are available. I've reseated primers in them too and works fine. So if you don't want to order new ones every time there is that option. Not sure how many times you could reload the primers but I'm guessing a ton since there's no pressure in the little cases.

Any way like I said I have some more tinkering to do but so far I really like the gun!

+1 vote for Knight. I have the Knight long range hunter and really like it. It's a little picky on bullets and powder combos, but when you find what it likes it shoots more like a center-fire. Killed a decent bull at 290 yards and a coues at 250 yards with it.

• Like 1

You can find a CVA magnum new production for 100to150 if you want to just get your feet wet. They group pretty good. They really push the powerbelt bullets but sabot work well too

I will second the TC and Knight remondations. I have an older Knight disc, it shoots great. Borrowed a friends TC when a buddy needed a muzzleloader for pig, and I was very impressed with the gun. You get what yo pay for in a muzzleloader.

Not a fan of the Powerbelt bullets, they tend to disintegrate on impact and not penetrate real well. Switched to Barnes, and have had great results with them on penetration and accuracy. I use 100 grs of 777 pellets because the 150 gr. is not fun to shoot. I am comfortable shooting this rig out to 250 on deer or pig sized cirtters, but have not launched a bullet past the 250 mark. After all , these are supposed to be "primitive weapons". Ha!

Great info, thanks guys, has anyone tried the new CVA Accura V2 LR, has a 30 inch ss bergara barrel.? it came out 2015 so may still be to new for reviews.

I love hunting with a muzzlerloader. I started back in 2011 and had some ups and downs. I can tell you it is nothing like shooting a rifle. I have a CVA Accura V2 and love it. I am shooting 80 to 84 grains of Blackhorn and Barnes TMZ. I am hoping to get a bull this fall with it.

• Like 1

Hey joel where's the updates? I just picked up my bkackhorn 209 and a flask. Also picked up cleaning supply's for muzzleloader.

Great info, thanks guys, has anyone tried the new CVA Accura V2 LR, has a 30 inch ss bergara barrel.? it came out 2015 so may still be to new for reviews.

I just recently bought the V2 LR and will be mounting my scope on it tonight and shooting it this weekend. I have a few different bullets to try out and plan on using BH209 after all the hype I've heard about it. I'll let you know how it shoots. It's hot as heck down here so I probably won't be out there too long but hopefully long enough to get a good idea of what it can do at 200 yards for now. My hunt isn't until November so I have time to do some fine tuning still.