Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Next Generation

Thought you all might appreciate seeing this little fawn that my husband and dog almost stepped while doing some owl surveys about a week ago. What a precious little thing! I looked around for a twin, but didn't see one and didn't want to tromp all over the area, so didn't look very hard.

No sign of the momma, but I am sure she will be back to feed the fawn later in the morning. What a blessing to see such a new fawn. It sure did it's job of staying perfectly still while we there. Amazing!

How many of you have ever come across a newborn fawn?

post-1-0-07646000-1438874217_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-90530800-1438874271_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-62429300-1438874279_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-92867600-1438874290_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Never in my life, that is so sweet thanks Amanda for sharing.

• Like 1

Not newborn per se, but I ran into twin WT fawns on the August OTC opener a couple years ago. They were leaping over every manzanita in their way, I was absolutely amazed, that's what it takes to survive I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Great pics Amanda! Cute little bugger..

I've never come across a Coues fawn before but did run into this muley doe with her fawn a few years back up in the high country of Utah. I stayed back for a while once I saw them on the trail and waited for them to head off. Once they did, I crept up there because it was my only way through and when I got up to where I last saw the doe I looked down and the fawn had just bedded right next to the trail. So I took a couple pics and got out of there quietly as the doe stood there 30 yards off trying to get my attention.

post-9154-0-16992200-1438888603_thumb.jpg

post-9154-0-16179600-1438888617_thumb.jpg

post-9154-0-91518300-1438888630_thumb.jpg

post-9154-0-77130300-1438888657_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cute little guy. I've seen multiple newborn fawns, whitetail and mule deer. It always surprises me how much time the mom's spend away from their fawns. Last August I had an interesting encounter while scouting. I topped out on a Ridge and walked towards a small group of oaks. As I got close to the oaks, a coues deer doe blew out of the brush snorting and blowing and charging straight for me. She stopped about 10 feet from me and started stopping her feet and then bailed off the side of the hill, trying to lure me towards her. I knew why she did what she did so I crept forward and as I peeked I to the tree ahead, two coues fawns blew out running in the direction of their mama. Those little guys could move. What happened next really shocked me. A mule deer fawn blew out and headed in the same direction. The mule deer fawn hadnt quite figured out how to pick up speed like the coues fawns, mixing it's running with bounding. It stopped about 40 yards out for just a second and I clearly id'd it as mule deer with my chest binos. I'm assuming the whitetail was raising that mule deer fawn. I wish I could have videoed the whole thing

• Like 1

No coues ones yet but ive found a couple of muley fawns that were so young they just hunkered down and sat still. You see some real interesting behavior from mama. The doe came right up to within about 10 or 15 feet of us, snorted, stamped her feet then stotted away. When we didnt chase her, shed come back and do it again and again until we walked away from the fawn. Obviously she was attempting to lure us away. Neat experience! I love seeing the babies!

• Like 1

Have not found a coues fawn, but have walked up on a few mulie and elk babies.

Usually thats been followed by mamma stomping her foot and making rude comments at me.

• Like 1

I have seen a lot of new fawns in the past week. Most does had two fawns or had not yet dropped. I even watched a big fat doe on a hillside as she was getting ready to have her fawns. Water in the desert is a magical thing.

• Like 1

We had a fawn come across us. It showed up an orphan at my grandparents ranch one summer. We bottle fed it and it followed me around like a puppy. Felt very strange rabbit hunting with a mule deer at my side rather than a beagle. He stuck around 2/years
  • Like 1