Sign in to follow this  
NYAZHunter

Grandpa in 1928 , couple of NY deer from the 80's

Good morning,

Forgiveness for the wrong orientation of the pix. I have turned them all ways and can not get them to be correct. Help is welcome.

Grandpa shooting a musket in '28. The musket has tiger maple for the stock. Incredible looking wood. the gun sits in a local museum in the old hometown.

The others are some Catskill Mountain deer ,unit 3K . Hard to imagine they were shot almost 30 years ago.

I cant have aged that much..

Jim

post-4457-0-91828400-1440171205_thumb.jpg

post-4457-0-15816500-1440171242_thumb.jpg

post-4457-0-99915600-1440171264_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Definitely cool old photos, but is it just me or do the deer back east just look bad (jacked up). I don't think they compare to the beauty of our Coues and even Muley's in Az. Maybe it's the dry heat that gives our deer a great looking look. Just saying.............

Jim: Neat photos, especially the one of your grandfather with his "musket." Are you certain the barrel wasn't rifled? I can't tell from the photo if it's flintlock or percussion, but its silhouette looks like a typical Pennsyvania-style longrifle from the very late 1700s to the early- to mid-1800s. Such rifles almost always had curly maple stocks. Muskets would be from earlier times, smoothbore and not rifled, and usually were "chunkier" (not as slim) and could have maple (usually with less figure) or walnut stocks.

Whatever it is, I surely would like to have one just like it.

Bill Quimby

Cool pics! I turned the first one around for you.

post-8895-0-77126700-1440210540.jpg

Guest oneshot

Thanks for the look back in time.... I STILL have my Woolrich plaid hunting gear!!! Red and black, Hat, heavy jacket and pants... Now I have to find a photo hahaha...

Shooter McGaven: They are what well fed, fat-necked, rut-crazed bucks looks like...

My Father was an avid collector of Revolutionary/Civil War rifles/swords in NY, and I grew-up surrounded by antiques, what museum is it at???

The CatsKills were full of custom rifle makers all during the early history of New York state, 1000yd Club's etc...

Small caliber, slim form, longer barrel... Kenntucky long rifle...

Very cool to research early NY/PA Rifle makers, while most just bought the steel/metal parts and put them together with a piece of wood they cut off the back 40.

The end product is un-surpassed in function and art form...

If you have never held an old Rifle, you are really missing out, not only the sense of history involved, but wondering what kind of Men carried these beasts through the new world...

Oneshot:

Longrifles give me a thrill everytime I hold one, and I wonder what stories each could tell.

I find them surprisingly easy to carry, and great fun to shoot. I've not hunted with an original, but I did build and hunt with three replicas that were as close to original as I could make them.

I just wish they hadn't been stolen. I had wanted to leave them to my daughter and two grandkids.

Incidentally, there is at least one great book on the subject called "Thoughts On The Golden Age Of The Kentucky Rifle" by Joe Kindig. It has black and white photos of a couple hundred such rifles. It was my "Bible" when I was building mine.

Bill Quimby

Guest oneshot

Nice!

I really want to take a deer wearing a flannel and jeans.

Visit a Deer Camp in the north-east, I've seen pink/black plaid Huntress'es hang some deer, and sometimes even humble the men...

(Thanks Adam, now I'm digging through years of photos looking for the "oneshot-in-plaid" pic's...)

I had the pleasure of hunting with Jim 5 years ago .Great camp ,He is a great cook ,and think He still wears his flannel jammies........BOB!

Bill,

My Uncle could only remember that it was originally a flintlock, then turned into a caplock. Thought is was from the early 1800's .

I am always saddened that history gets lost. Even with all of the questions I asked my grandfather and father before they passed , there is so much I did not get to ask or think to ask.

Jim