azracer11

Opinions on archery mule deer strategy

Hello! I am pretty new to the site and I have used a lot of the information found to help me in this years hunt. This is my first year archery mule deer hunting and I have had a rough time. Pre season scouting in my area went fairly well locating a couple bucks. At the last second I found out I needed surgery which sat me out for the beginning of the hunt. I have put in two days and I have located a buck, not sure if it is the same one from scouting but he is very similar. I have now glassed this deer in almost the same spot twice now and I am unsure of what to do now. I watched him bed down this morning in a very difficult place and it would not allow me a stalk until I found an alternative way to enter his area. So now I have this question for tomorrow mornings hunt. Should I go into that area where I have seen him multiple times and lay low hoping for his pattern to reuccor and get a shot. Or should I keep glassing and if he shows up again set up for a stalk using the new way I found in. This will be my last day to hunt and I only have the morning to do so(leaving for college). Any help would be appreciated and I hope I can get it done in the short time I have.

Once I bed a buck, unless they have been spooked they will be in the same area, If it was me and I saw him bed down, I would sneak in up hill (if possible) and wait about 100 yards out. Quite often he will then get up and stretch and feed in the early afternoon and then bed down again. Then depending on terrain I would get to within 40-60 yards and wait for him to stand right at dark or if that is impossible or doesn't seem like a good idea then I would wait for him to stand and start feeding and hope he works up the hill toward you. Only your scouting will tell you which way he usually feeds in the evenings.

Good luck hope you get to release an arrow.

• Like 7

Just make sure you pay attention to the wind direction on your stalk. Also pay attention to the does, if any with him, they can bust you quite often. Good luck.

• Like 2

Once I bed a buck, unless they have been spooked they will be in the same area, If it was me and I saw him bed down, I would sneak in up hill (if possible) and wait about 100 yards out. Quite often he will then get up and stretch and feed in the early afternoon and then bed down again. Then depending on terrain I would get to within 40-60 yards and wait for him to stand right at dark or if that is impossible or doesn't seem like a good idea then I would wait for him to stand and start feeding and hope he works up the hill toward you. Only your scouting will tell you which way he usually feeds in the evenings.

Good luck hope you get to release an arrow.

This is great information for sure! If I was able to stalk him this morning I definitely would have, but i was unsure of how to get to him because he was on the other side of a steep ravine and a creek at the bottom. I backed out and unfortunately found a way in after leaving the area for the day due to work. So sorry if I was unclear, but what would your strategy be for the morning when I get back to that area. #1:Sit in the area where he has been coming right off the bat in the morning, or #2 glass and see if he comes in again, and then put a stalk on him. or #3 if you fine folks inform me of a new plan! Just trying to see what people think would be my best bet, I really wish I had more time to hunt this area because I truly think I could figure him out if I had more time. He is only a wide 2x2 but my heart was going when he sky lined this morning! Thank you guys all for the help!

• Like 1

Just make sure you pay attention to the wind direction on your stalk. Also pay attention to the does, if any with him, they can bust you quite often. Good luck.

No does with them, just two bucks runnin around, that is why I really hope i get a deer on this early hunt because from what I heard they are way more predictable during this hunt. Very similar daily routine. And who doesn't like some velvet muleys? But in December you most likely have does to bust you and more eyes on you. Is this information correct? I am 19 with a lot more to learn, just recently got a new set of glass(15x50 vortex vipers), so glassing is a whole new ball game I'm learning as well. Thanks for the help and I will keep an eye on the wind

Glass glass glass. He may move tonight or get shot today, so go to your normal spot and glass if you find him great. You will probably find others and the key for me is to watch them for a while and see how they acting. If they are feeding and moving slow then I'll try and cut them off if the wind is in my favor. If they are moving with a purpose I don't even try.

Locate water sources nearby I found mule deer don't stray too far.

Good luck.

The terrain and ground cover should dictate your strategy. If he's hanging out in thick steep (I.e. noisy crap!), then find a good ambush spot in a feeding area up above his bed and wait him out. If hes in a stalkable position then go to him.

• Like 2

Until their velvet hardens, their antlers are very sensitive this time I've year. They try to avoid bumping them if they can help it unless someone or something pushes them. Find him, put him to bed then shift into stealth mode to get into range. Play the wind. Good luck.

• Like 1