Healy Arms

2015 Sixty-ish Day (give or take) Hunt Fitness Push for Killer Lungs and Lower Weight

Hey guys, way less than 60 days before my OCT Rifle Coues hunt but I've been adding to my normal Army PT with some extra rucks and hitting the hills around the house here in KY. On the 15th I'm cutting out all cheese and refined bread products up through the hunt. Excited about this to say the least! Great thread and best of luck to everyone on their fitness goals and hunts!

Good to have you here and good luck on the hunt!

Easy day:

Went to the gym with air conditioning - you know - the kinda gym where skinny girls show up in makeup and perfect hair.

Power Mill (modern version of a stairmaster) 120 floors in 33 minutes - burned up 500 calories. 100 sit ups - done. Another 7-day stretch in the books.

Healy Arms - you are an animal. Not sure what kind - but a true animal.

Healy Arms – I read your BMI thread and I congratulate you on your November 2013 epiphany in terms of knowing you needed to lose weight. Were you able to get down the 60 to 70 lbs that you mention in your post? Did you keep it off? If so, what type of maintenance diet have you found that works?

• Like 1

Easy day:

Went to the gym with air conditioning - you know - the kinda gym where skinny girls show up in makeup and perfect hair.

Power Mill (modern version of a stairmaster) 120 floors in 33 minutes - burned up 500 calories. 100 sit ups - done. Another 7-day stretch in the books.

Healy Arms - you are an animal. Not sure what kind - but a true animal.

LOL - probably not. Maybe a air conditioned animal. But not too bad for a 46 yr old with limited time to stay fit.

I can hump hills far better today than I could just a few years ago. I'm never limited by roads or how far my quad will take me.

Speaking of no limitations due to road access. I humped 3 miles across a crappy steep canyon to a road-less area in Unit 23 last year. I finally get over there and the FIRST deer that pops out of this little Manzanita snag in the middle of nowhere is easily over 110 inches - awesome buck. It was late Nov and I had an elk tag - the buck was safe. But it certainly proved a point - that big deer was there because very few people are willing to go get him.

AND

Then there was the time I was glassing some decent bucks in Unit 31 in the wilderness area. I glassed back toward the main road and watched some guys glassing from their pickup - using the edge truck bed to steady their elbows so they could get their glass on. Later that evening they stopped by my camp and asked if I'd seen any deer. I told them I had, and asked how their day had gone. I was shocked & amazed to hear that they "didn't see anything all day".

I even shared the the general location of where I'd walked to and told them the deer I passed might be what they were seeking. The driver, scoffed at the idea and lectured me that there was NO REASON to walk that far, as "his uncle had killed a good buck right from the road last season". I told him a broken clock is right 2 times a day too.

• Like 1

Good day today - up at 5:30 and did a great workout - jump rope for 3 minutes straight - did a warmup that is called the monster (5 air squats, 5 pushups, 5 jumping jacks, 5 sit ups, 5 burpees and REPEAT for 5 minutes) - then on to a great leg workout using a 36" box jump. Step up with weight each leg, then step up sideways, then jump up with weight, then jump over and we finished it off with some good ol' thrusters. After 2 sets of thrusters, my partner said he was done. We walked out to his truck and I closed the gate. I heard him say - wait! I left something in the gym. I asked him what it was and he said "my third set of thrusters!" We finished the third set and called it a day. You don't find partners to work out with like this guy. Goofy SOB doesn't know when to quit.

• Like 1

Two a day today! 7:45 at the powerlifting gym did squats 5 sets and step ups 3 sets then military press 8 sets. All about form not very heavy but my legs felt extremely heavy all day. In the afternoon, calisthenic warmup and then boxed 3 minutes, rest 30 seconds, grappled 3 minutes, rest 30 seconds and repeat for 4 rounds of this torture. Juanito kicked my tail today and I left feeling like a beat dog but at least there was no quitting.

• Like 2

Two a day today! 7:45 at the powerlifting gym did squats 5 sets and step ups 3 sets then military press 8 sets. All about form not very heavy but my legs felt extremely heavy all day. In the afternoon, calisthenic warmup and then boxed 3 minutes, rest 30 seconds, grappled 3 minutes, rest 30 seconds and repeat for 4 rounds of this torture. Juanito kicked my tail today and I left feeling like a beat dog but at least there was no quitting.

killing it like a viking

I torched my lungs and large muscle groups yesterday - solid cardio and endurance training.

This morning got the brakes put on with bad food or some kind of bug. Feel like garbage. The day is young - this could change. Don't need my 7-day chain broken.

To everyone else - have a productive one.

Ended up with yesterday off. Never felt up to it at all. Broke the 7-day chain.

Came back toady with vengeance. My trainer was relentless. Holy freaking cardio. Nearly quit once - thought better of myself.

November will be a breeze.

• Like 1

Thank God it is Sunday! I am taking today off! Hit it hard since my last check in with a 2 a day on Friday and yesterday boxed 7 rounds x 3 minutes and then the 8th round was 10 minutes long. Not real sure how I made it through that but I did and now I am going to lounge around today!

Sick today. I couldn't do a lung burner day if I wanted to.

My 4 mile easy walk won't kill me. I'll do that and get back to chillin with a book.

Related of the American State of Denial - I just witnessed the American State of Defeated

I'm looking for a trail to go hike today that I haven't been on before and find a review of a particular trail that says:

"The first section of the trail ascends to a breathtaking lookout and continues winding on. We would've liked to seen more, but we're in our 50's and it wasn't possible. I wish we'd found this trail 10 years ago."

What?!?! I had to grab my glasses & read it several times thinking the 5 must be an 8.

I must go see this.

• Like 1

Not sure how I havnt seen this till now but this is just what I need. I've got a late rifle bull tag in an absolutely MEAN unit. I need to get my butt into shape in a hurry. I would love to drop about 15-20 lbs in the next few months and get my lungs where they need to be. What do you guys suggest for workouts? I don't have any fitness equipment so maybe some old fashion jogs around the block. I've got 6 young kids so finding time to workout can be tough but I need to do it.

• Like 1

Last two weekends, I have put about 14 miles of boot leather down at altitudes from 5900 to 9500' AMSL. Does that count?

• Like 1

Last two weekends, I have put about 14 miles of boot leather down at altitudes from 5900 to 9500' AMSL. Does that count?

LOL - yeah. It counts. Rock on sir.