Healy Arms

2015 Sixty-ish Day (give or take) Hunt Fitness Push for Killer Lungs and Lower Weight

Not sure how I haven't seen this till now but this is just what I need. I've got a late rifle bull tag in an absolutely MEAN unit. I need to get my butt into shape in a hurry. I would love to drop about 15-20 lbs in the next few months and get my lungs where they need to be. What do you guys suggest for workouts? I don't have any fitness equipment so maybe some old fashion jogs around the block. I've got 6 young kids so finding time to workout can be tough but I need to do it.

Hi Kennyazman - I hope this helps:

The key here is to do SOMETHING. Fairly often I hear from someone who, not knowing what to do, do nothing. You don't need to buy anything to get going. There is no magic piece of equipment. Just simple calisthenics (yes - the stuff of military boot camp joy like jumping jacks, burpees, sit-ups, push-ups and the dreaded monkey crawls & mountain climbers) are all you need to tone up, fight fat and get your cardio back. Add a good jog or steep trail hike to the mix and you’re in a good place.

I’ve noticed that many people – especially those over 40 and double especially if they are heavy no matter what age – have a hard time just dealing with getting on and off the ground. That being the case I often just tell people to do exercises that require you to get down on the floor and get back up. Very often that is all they need to “get started”.

For instance – try this police & fire academy PT drill from back in the day:

Set the clock for 4 minutes and cycle through the following 4 exercises for all 4 minutes. You need to do them BOTH quickly and with excellent form. Move as quickly from one exercise to the next as you can.

• 4 squats – nice and deep and look toward the ceiling as you do them so you don’t use your back.

• 4 push-ups – again, good form and full extensions

• 4 jumping jacks – full range of motion

• 4 sit-ups – don’t rock & keep you heels on the floor as much as you can

Get back to your feet and start again – keep cycling through – all 4 minutes. If you put forth your best effort you should be winded. That should be all you need to convince you that your own motion and effort are that are required to get good exercise. Equipment can be added as needed to enhance your experience and gain on your goals.

If you need something more difficult, add a minute to the clock and a 5th exercise like burpees or mountain climbers. Do this in sets of 5 instead of 4. Need more? Move it to 6 & 6.

This is how I got started again 2 years ago. I do a lot more now and my workouts vary greatly. One thing stays constant – I’m in cardio mode all the time. When I lift weights the reps are high and there are calisthenics in between sets. I don’t care about bulk – just strength and functional endurance.

Start with 20 minutes a day and progress to a full hour. Be creative and get winded.

• Like 2

I haven't been posting as I have been hunting elk in New Mexico! After the workouts - hunting was a walk in the park - even the pack out wasn't all that difficult. It felt like I had a week off of my workout routine and it made everything very enjoyable. A lot of ground was covered, a bunch of up and down arroyos and canyons, and the best part was - I NEVER got sore and was not winded at all. To top it off - my hunting partner took a very nice 6x7 that he was extremely happy with!

This is why we punish our bodies the rest of the year gentlemen - so hunting truly is a relaxing vacation!

Back to the gym in the morning with 3 rounds of boxing and 3 rounds of grappling! I hear my regular training partner has stepped it up all week - something about being a real deep breather now - we will see - one of us is gonna get tied into knots!

• Like 1

Keep it up gentlemen! You guys are doing great!

I don't have a hunt this fall to train for, but I have need to be in better shape and get my new dog a lot of exercise. We can't quite trust her off leash yet, but when that gets better I will be doing some nice hikes up steep mountains with her. Last night she did great off leash on some flat areas. It all depends on what distractions are around (ie, elk, deer, cattle, dogs, etc)....no distractions for her, then she is an angel.....I will try again today with her.

• Like 1

Back to the gym in the morning with 3 rounds of boxing and 3 rounds of grappling! I hear my regular training partner has stepped it up all week - something about being a real deep breather now - we will see - one of us is gonna get tied into knots!

Longboat - Sending you a PM - give me a call at the store if you have room for a stray.

Longboat - Sending you a PM - give me a call at the store if you have room for a stray.

Thank you for the invitation - that was a solid good time - nuts - but worth the time invested. That's a lung blowout - non-stop. I doesn't get anymore cardio that that.

I don't find many guys that workout like that - I'm going to feel that workout for a day or 2 or 3. But hey, I made it all the way through the hour.

I'll be on vacation next week, but will call you when I get back to schedule another go of it.

Thank you for the invitation - that was a solid good time - nuts - but worth the time invested. That's a lung blowout - non-stop. I doesn't get anymore cardio that that.

I don't find many guys that workout like that - I'm going to feel that workout for a day or 2 or 3. But hey, I made it all the way through the hour.

I'll be on vacation next week, but will call you when I get back to schedule another go of it.

Healy you are an animal! Those yoga sessions must have really paid off as you have great cardio! Call when you get back - I am hoping that you make this a regular thing.

• Like 1