Sign in to follow this  
raventechniq

Preferred calls for lion?

looking for recommendations for a call for lions? was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? i'm guessing a fawn call would be best? anyone willing to share their favorite brand/model

thanks

I've spent years researching and observing cougars on the far west side. Have concluded their favorite call is definitely ......B-I-N-G-O!!!

But seriously, I'm looking for a lost beef calf call. When I was a kid my dad called a lion in back in the Santa Ritas with a Jack rabbit distress. Good luck, best call is whatever works but you may find hand calling to be more rewarding, should one come in. I use an ecaller for night calling so the predators focus on it and my hands are free.

Where you located?

• Like 2

everbody i know that ever called in a lion was using a jackrabbit call. there ain't a nickels difference in the way rabbit, fawn, woodepecker, blue jay, etc sound anyway. the trick to calling in a lion is to be where a hungry lion is. Lark

• Like 2

True. If they can't here you calling, they can't come join you for dinner. Boots on the ground calling long ridge lines to hedge your bets.

• Like 3

I called the one on my wall in with a Jackrabbit as well, that and a woodpecker decoy hanging on a small tree.

• Like 1

I called the one on my wall in with a Jackrabbit as well, that and a woodpecker decoy hanging on a smalbel tree.

I gotta buddy that was out promoting his woodpecker decoy and had a fox come up to grab the decoy. Right then a lion came out of nowhere and grabbed the fox. The lion with the fox in it's mouth looks at the camera as if to say thanks. Pretty cool video.
  • Like 3

I called the one on my wall in with a Jackrabbit as well, that and a woodpecker decoy hanging on a smalbel tree.

I gotta buddy that was out promoting his woodpecker decoy and had a fox come up to grab the decoy. Right then a lion came out of nowhere and grabbed the fox. The lion with the fox in it's mouth looks at the camera as if to say thanks. Pretty cool video.
post it.
  • Like 4

Yes i need to see this! Pleeeeeease

I'll see if I can dig it up and post it.

I've spent years researching and observing cougars on the far west side. Have concluded their favorite call is definitely ......B-I-N-G-O!!!

But seriously, I'm looking for a lost beef calf call. When I was a kid my dad called a lion in back in the Santa Ritas with a Jack rabbit distress. Good luck, best call is whatever works but you may find hand calling to be more rewarding, should one come in. I use an ecaller for night calling so the predators focus on it and my hands are free.

Where you located?

Located in central Arizona. Will mostly be hunting in around the mazatzals possibly flagstaff too. I do go down to the huachucas and around Sierra vista at times. I think I'm gonna get me a carver calls rabid rabbit and get good with it and throw in some fawn sounds too. Focus on ridgelines, long canyon draws and saddles to maximize odds. A beef cow calf in distress would be an awesome call. Thanks for the tips.

I'm in the far NW valley, give me a shout and we'll get together sometime.

Go where the Deer are, the lions will be nigh. I've seen 3 lions in the last 3 years. One was following me in the Bighorns, one was poised to take my dog in the Superstitions, another ran across the road in front of me on the Sunset Pkwy.

I seem to call in more fox, hawks and owls than anything else. Although I have called in two beautiful bobcats and a couple curious hippies, recently.

My dad always tells me about this. The guy worked with my mom and he also did our tile at our old house

My dad always tells me about this. The guy worked with my mom and he also did our tile at our old house
ya he's a tile contractor.

I called in two different lions and was unable to shoot either one many years ago. I used a mouth-blown wood call for both. It was made in Tucson by a typewriter repairman who also made and sold calls in the 1970s.

As Lark said, the call isn't as important as calling from a place where there are lions.

Based on my extremely limited knowledge of lion behavior gained in following the hounds of three different lion hunters all over southern Arizona, I would look at a mountain from a distance and locate a major saddle, then concentrate on calling from a place where you can "cover" that saddle.

Such saddles were where the dogs often found lion "scratches." They're not hard to see when a lion is using an area and you know what to look for.

Bill Quimby

The lion in my avatar came in to my turkey calling...Over the years I've been lucky enough to call in four other lion...Twice with an E-Caller (FoxPro Fury & a Johnny Stewart cassette player) using fawn bleats and twice with dying rabbit mouth call sounds...Every lion I've called or even seen was in areas where the deer populations were concentrated...none came in fast and all were in rocky areas with thick vegetation cover........