Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Back in the day

..we learned how to shoot before reading and writing and how to handle horses too

post-11051-0-82702700-1446679173_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-02271100-1446679234_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-29108800-1446783702_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-64617400-1446908450_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Knew how to care for God's creatures..

Grandpa bottle feeding an orphan mulie, FT Bayard NM 1970.

post-11051-0-33908400-1446682588_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

That's cool. Unfortunately not too many people are raised like that anymore.

That's my boy, Shawn he was 5 or 6 then. My dad snapped the picture with a Kodak

Land camera we were near Big Lake. Big Lake was about half way between my place in Datil NM and dads cabin in Show Low. After the pistol lesson, dad whisked the boy off to Hawley for trout fishing and hiking.

That is a cool picture of Gramps feeding the fawn.......where did you grow up???

my folks settled in Tucson after the Japs surrendered. They had both been raised in the severe sticks.

I grew up in Tucson but quality time was in NM. My parents started putting me on the bus to NM every holiday and vacation from the mid 60's till I graduated hs.

What part of a NM? My family originated in Quemado and my dad was born and raised in McNary. Just curious. Seems most folks from up that way know each other. Especially from them days.

• Like 2

My grandparents lived west of Ft Bayard and south of Silver City. I had a place between Pie Town and Datil near Horse Mtn. I bought a section of the Thomas Ranch when it was divided up. My wells were drilled by a fellow out of Quemado. Don't recall his name but his brother in law was a water witch and made me a believer.

• Like 2

Always interesting to run into people who come from that area....I grew up in Animas.

One of my best memories of playing basketball one of our road trips was Quemado on Friday night and Reserve on Saturday. After playing Quemado we would split up with families of the kids we had just played. They would take us into their homes, feed us and give us a bed to sleep in for the night. Next morning take us in to the school and we would load up and get to Reserve.

The interesting thing is that because of the rural setting some of these families had to drive a long way to get to anywhere and yet they were gracious enough to help us be able to afford the road trip.

Then that same year we played Silver City......lost to them at home and then beat them at their home......

I was a bench sitter....got to play when we were up by 20......there was no 3 point line or else I woulda been playing for the suns.....ha just kidding.

My mom went shopping once a month up at Silver City, that is when I would put in my order for 22 shells and BB's at the Western Auto store next to Furr's.

Great area to grow up................

• Like 2

Thanks for posting Edge. Love seeing these old pics. Love the chevy pulling that trailer in the last pic. I grew up around those chevy's. My grandfather had a '69, my uncle and cousin both had a '72 and I still have my '70. Was my first vehicle ever and it will be my daughters.

I still remember going on hunting trips with my Tata in his '69 3/4 ton. Man that thing would cruise the hills in granny gear.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting Edge. Love seeing these old pics. Love the chevy pulling that trailer in the last pic. I grew up around those chevy's. My grandfather had a '69, my uncle and cousin both had a '72 and I still have my '70. Was my first vehicle ever and it will be my daughters.

I still remember going on hunting trips with my Tata in his '69 3/4 ton. Man that thing would cruise the hills in granny gear.

It's a '70 C10 and 4 speed, ran like a raped ape. Would love to have it back. No ac, no heater, no radio, never left me stranded once and I took it on some hairy drives.

Here was my '67 327/4spd. The old lady thought we was on our honeymoon; a pack ride thru the Santa Ritas, but I was scouting for coues.

post-11051-0-15289300-1446781006_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Always interesting to run into people who come from that area....I grew up in Animas.

One of my best memories of playing basketball one of our road trips was Quemado on Friday night and Reserve on Saturday. After playing Quemado we would split up with families of the kids we had just played. They would take us into their homes, feed us and give us a bed to sleep in for the night. Next morning take us in to the school and we would load up and get to Reserve.

The interesting thing is that because of the rural setting some of these families had to drive a long way to get to anywhere and yet they were gracious enough to help us be able to afford the road trip.

Then that same year we played Silver City......lost to them at home and then beat them at their home......

I was a bench sitter....got to play when we were up by 20......there was no 3 point line or else I woulda been playing for the suns.....ha just kidding.

My mom went shopping once a month up at Silver City, that is when I would put in my order for 22 shells and BB's at the Western Auto store next to Furr's.

Great area to grow up................

the road to Deming was best for us, about 70 miles round trip. They had a Western Auto and a brick of .22s was $2-$3

As the ranch mechanized, the old wagons were parked literally in the back 40. The wagons graveyard was a few hundred yards from the human graveyard. Contained a couple slow gunfighter's, a little girl and her father killed by the Apache Victorio.

post-11051-0-15529500-1446782074_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good pics thanks for sharing

Figured if I was going to use the boy for bear bait only fair to teach him to shoot first. Jk
  • Like 1