Sign in to follow this  
Ethicsovereverything

Found a new area looking for veteran advice.

Hey CW I am a new member and a new whitetail hunter. I am trying to get better and I was told this community was the best to help me. I was scouting this weekend and found this area. If you were me where would you start focusing? The three photos are right to left. I really don't know how to look at the area and see feeding area it bedding etc.

post-13816-0-26305500-1448401510_thumb.jpeg

post-13816-0-26408000-1448401539_thumb.jpeg

post-13816-0-59904900-1448401557_thumb.jpeg

Water is the real thing to be looking for. Are there any water sources nearby? Did you see any scat?

I had to work on this day so I didn't actually get to walk in any further. It's hard to see but there are Cotton wood tress in the middle picture so I'm guessing that water is in there. Also there is a tank on the map, I haven't had the chance to hike to it though. This hunt will be archery late December so will I still want to hunt near water?

if it were me i would glass the whole are the first picture has a couple of nice cuts in it i think you will find deer any where in that country it looks really nice.

• Like 2

What Keithv said ^^^ All that country looks really nice. Go on one of your days off and glass. That looks like a good spot!

Looks like great country. Should be deer all over. I would focus on those northern facing slopes.

If I were you I'd look into buying a book available at CWT store the book is entitled - How to Hunt Coues Deer

for a beginner it's a must buy!

North Facing slopes are a good start to glassing but there are a lot of factors in my experience especially during the Dec. and January Hunts .... If there is any cold northern winds above 5 mph I have found more bucks on the south east facing slopes .. first to get the sun while breaking the wind... If I were in your shoes I would find the closest 2 or 3 known sources of water and as one shot said strap the boots tight and work out from the water searching for signs of activity ... walk the low cuts and then get high to glass, If you are seeing good sign then glassing can help you find bedding areas, if there is good sign, you can bet they are bedding within 1/2 -3/4 of mile from the water.... I am all about glassing, but when getting to a new area ( and one like this with good draws and cuts ) I think in the long run leather on the ground will pay more dividends over time...

• Like 1

That area looks awesome! Great advice so far. I second all of it.