nighthawk

First year, first lion..called in long read

So this past Sunday marks the 1st year wedding anniversary for my wife and I (been together 7 but married 1 lol) . To celebrate we decided to go Varmit calling and see what we could turn up. The morning was really windy heading out so I told my wife in advance that I normally don't call in much on windy days. Get to our first stand of the day bout 10mph back wind I'm thinking nothing going to come in but hey we are here let's give it heck.. She asked me if anything is going to come in behind us.. I said no of course and smiled. She was like why u smiling.. Haha 6 min to my hand call rotation my wife is stumbling to get her rifle around saying bbbbabe looking behind me. I turn around to see 2 mt lions inside of 10yrds from my backt that look just as surprised as I was. She said she saw them threw the corner of her eye behind me.. She is freaked out by this time I jump up and the one cat gives me the mulie stop at 20yrds I drill it with my 22-250 the both scatter. 10 seconds later I see the white patch to my right reappear . The other cat came back to about 50yrds looking for his/her hunting buddy. I'm telling my wife to shoot it but she is just a little shaken up can't get in scope. The cat losses interest then bolts after a few seconds. I knew I hit the one good but in the heat on the moment u second guess everything! Was it good shot, was it enough gun, did the other cat reunite? So my blood trail was a little weary as I would be lieing to say I wasn't a little scared.. Well it turns out this young Tom only made it 80yrds or so before crashing into the bushes. One of the craziest experiences I have ever had and what a way to celebrate a wedding anniversary !! Her excitement / fear / tears were indescribable. My first lion g&f said 2to3 year old tom probably siblings hunting together .

A couple of pictures to demonstrate what that 22-250 did. Like a Bomb went of inside the boiler maker.. I have been buying a lion tag every single year with hopes that this day would come. To say I am excited is an understatement .

post-3282-0-42602700-1448427870_thumb.jpeg

post-3282-0-03817100-1448428008_thumb.jpeg

post-3282-0-21592100-1448428047_thumb.jpeg

post-3282-0-54459500-1448428096_thumb.jpeg

post-3282-0-92912500-1448428184_thumb.jpeg

post-3282-0-00432200-1448428208_thumb.jpeg

post-3282-0-86793600-1448428279_thumb.jpeg

post-3282-0-74162400-1448428319_thumb.jpeg

• Like 18

Wow that will get your adrenaline flowing congrats

Way to go on the cat and thank goodness your wife was with you. Mt lion is great eating

• Like 2

Wow, that's 2 awesome! Amazing experience for sure, congratulations on the lion and happy anniversary!

Thank you all for kind words. I have called in 3 lions( that I know of) this far and to finally get one down is a true blessing.!

• Like 2

Wow! That has too be an adrenaline pumping moment! Like Sherman said above ^^^ good thing your wife was with you haha. Congrats and happy anniversary!

Great story. I've had a few unexpected run ins with cats but didn't have a tag.