Sign in to follow this  
Coffeeman

Federal B.O.R. Lock

Anyone else shot this? CVA optima v2... Went out today to finish dialing it in I've been shooting 100 grains 777 and 245 grain powerbelts most groups under 2"... Tried the federal bor lock 270 grain (bullet I planned to hunt with) same powder same primer and got 24++" groups holy smokes shot three terrible groups ! Went back to the powerbelts and groups went under 2" so frustrated hunt starts in one week. Would you guys trust a powerbelt in a hunting situation?

I would not trust a power belt in a hunting situation and here is why. I was sent some power belts to try and leave feedback on. This was back when they were fist coming out and they shot great. A five shot group, 1 1/2" at 100 yards from sandbags, 4" low and 4" left of where I had my XTP's sighted in for. I loaded one and went "rabbit hunting" with it to practice before hunting season. After a day of bumping around walking, climbing hills, etc. just like a deer hunt I was going to empty the load by firing it but I put the ramrod down the barrel first. The bullet had moved about 1/2" forward in the barrel during that day of walking. Yes I mark my ramrods with the load I am shooting. This has never happened to me with a sabot that takes some force down the barrel. Seemed to me to be unsafe and would create an obstructed barrel. I reseated it and fired it off without a problem.

I have no idea on bullet performance outside of target shooting but for me this experience makes me question them. I don't know if they have made them better grip the barrel so this would not happen.

my minister has taken antelope - muledeer- javelin and elk all using powerbelts in his knight .50 at ranges from 40 yrds to 180

never had a problem

gun shoots clover leafs at 100 yrds

I will use them on my next muzzy hunt they normally group a tight 2 " at 100 for me in my knight .54

I'm with sparky on this. When I worked in a sporting goods store the rep told me to mark your ramrod and double check after driving with them in the barrel and the muzzle pointed down as they will slide forward. Seems like a really easy problem they could fix but don't for some reason. Way to many other great options out there to risk it. Colorado is a different story as they are legal since they are full bore diameter. Or close enough at least. Even then, way to many other good options imo.

Thanks guys ready to throw my hat the other day... Used federal premium in my .270 wsm nothing but perfect. Thought it would perform equably it did not. I'll figure something out.

Sabot out of my cva optima mag with 150 grns of 777. Dropped my bull like right now..

I tried those federal bor in my cva and they sucked horrible will not use them. I found the best shooting bullet out of my cva was Thompson center shock wave bonded 250 grain w smooth sabot shot a 1.5 inch group at 200 yds. I'm excited about my muzzy hunt starting this Friday. Good luck.