AZ_SAWBUCK

Light Weight Deer Gun?

I'm sure there is a forum on this out there but I couldn't find it.

After lugging a custom build .300 win mag for the past few seasons, I'm thinking of trying to find a light weight rifle that is still accurate at longer ranges 600-700 yards. Thinking 6-7 lbs with bullets and a scope. Anyone have one or have any recommendations? I'm thinking possibly a 243 short mag or a 270 short mag........? I'd also like to find one out of the box rather than a custom build. JS

Light weight and long range typically don't go togeather! Your going to have a hard time getting to 6-7 pounds. You can probably shave more weight off your gear by reducing the weight on your tripod, pack, boots and other esential gear. Not saying it can't be done, but it will be very difficult!

• Like 4

I figured id get a quick response saying "long range and light weight don't mix"! Maybe the question should be is anyone packing a light rifle for Coues? What is it and what's it weigh?

Here's my .300 it weighs about 12 pounds with bullets and no bipod. Gets a little heavy if you hike a lot...........

post-6362-0-53706700-1449690128_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I just took a bunch of junk out of my pack that I rarely use and use the same rifle.

example -

I don't need to carry 25 bullets. If I miss 10 times, go home.

I don't need 3 knives. A havelon and a small pocket knife will take care of anything.

I don't need a bunch of junk food. a granola bar and jerky is enough for an entire day.

I don't need a gallon of water. I drink a bunch of water the day before. Drink a bunch more in the morning and on the way to my hunting area. Carry one or two bottles, depending on the temps and area.

• Like 6

Sweet rifle man!

I carry around a savage model 111 .270. No idea on how much it weighs with bullets and scope, but it is lighter than my buddies winchester model 70 .270 with bullets and scope. I love my savage. It has been nothing but great right out of the box. Accutrigger is a plus!

• Like 1

look at the savage lightweight hunters. they make one in a 6.5 creedmore that is a great rifle. they weigh under 5.5lbs without a scope. I know a few guys that shoot them and they are all 1/2MOA rifles

• Like 2

I know you said you'd rather buy a factory built rifle and not a custom gun but if you want "Long Range" and "Light Weight" all in one sentence then talk to Morgan at Patriot Precision.

http://www.patriotprecisionaz.com/index.html

He has a new rifle line that is geared for the ultra light weight long range crowd. I don't think it's on his website yet but he has started taking orders on them. I was just in Vegas last weekend at the RMEF Elk Camp expo and met up with Morgan while I was there so I could check it out. It's a small profile, very light weight ~5 lbs. rifle that is capable of exceeding 1000 yards.

I've considered my next build to be a 6.5 of some sorts for a more "mountain" gun. Lighter stock, lighter scope, short action, lighter barrel, etc. You can reach out decently, but the gun is going to jump.

Kimber mountain accent in 280ai. With scope mine weighs 6.4. Shoot 1/2" moa to 700.

My wife has a savage model 11 in 6.5 creed... Mid 6lb and shoot 1/2 moa to 500.

I like em both..

• Like 1

Tikka t3 or the superlight. 16 ounce scope and rings will get you at 7 lbs all up on nose or a bit less.

I'd run a 7-08 though, which we do...

• Like 2

I have it in my head I could put together a savage short action with a .308 parent round ( 308win 243 6.5cm) on a mdt chassis with a z3 and be under 7lbs

I have an encore pro hunter with a 26in 300wm barrel and a large 30mm Leupold scope that's 8lbs 2oz.