Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Family camping tent??

Looking at getting a bigger tent for the whole family, 5 people total. 2 adults, 3 kids. I've researched a ton. Got an idea but like to hear others suggestions, experiences. Everyone will be on a cot or 2 will be on the coleman queen air mattress cot. 3 season tent. White mountains during summer so it needs to take be able to handle rain. Wont be cold weather camping. Thought about a canvas tent, not the wall outfitter type. Bushnell 18x11 gets good reviews for a bigger tent. So does the bigger Coleman Instant tents, and some of the Wenzels(never heard of them before). Any thoughts??

i have had many brands of the family camping tents. I will never own another. Cabelas alaknak, any brand Canvas tent, or tent trailer is the way to go. Its worth it to spend the extra bucks. Warmth and waterproof capabilites are the main reasons.

The best rated and "supposedly" most capable family type tent caused a very crappy night when a freak storm hit. Broken poles and ripped roof made for a quick evacuation to the nearest motel one night. A canvas tent (kodiak type or outfitter type) will handle that kind of storm no problem. As will a tent trailer.

• Like 1

No outfitter type just due to wanting a easier setup and they are more then I need. I like the Kodiak flex bows or similar and am looking into the Alaknak. It's car camping as they call it. Yes it would be used in unestablished camp grounds too. I don't mind paying more then the usual Colemans but just don't need to spend $1500 either. Black pine tents, anyone tried em?

Black Pine are good tents .. But I still prefer the Kodiak

Yeah I thought they were the ones with canvas but they aren't. I've looked at so many tents I can't keep track, lol

I have had a Cabelas Alaskan guide for 8 years. Tall enough to stand up in, full length rain fly (it survived Heber over Fourth of July this year), with 6 poles and 0 flat sides it's pretty much bullet proof. My buddy has a Kodak and it did just as well over the fourth.

I like the Kodiak cabin tent with the porch. If you use cots it has the most vertical sides. More square footage at cot hright. I hope that makes sense.