Sign in to follow this  
Rharris

House Rock Buffalo Winter Grounds

I drew the long spring hunt that is currently going on. I was wondering if anyone knew where the buffalo wintered? Are they on the park or off. I realize it would probably take snow mobiles to get down there. Just curious. I will most likely wait until the latter part of the hunt.

Thanks

Rharris

• Like 1

I cooked for a camp about 10 years back, the buffalo were hanging out by Timp Point. The hunters rented snowmobiles in Kanab otherwise they wouldn't have been able to get around.

On the park....

My buddy drew the same tag. If you have a west side tag, they are in there just outside of the park. It is just a pain in the butt to get back there.

10 years ago they still migrated to and from house rock, those days are over.

G&F has started moving some back to House Rock ranch but I don't think they are huntable yet. There was a segment on AZ Wildlife Views about it this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgDVCV5HoAY

Not sure if this is the same attempt or not, but last summer they had like 50 buff fenced in @ House Rock.. They opened the fence and within 24 hours they back in the park..

That was a good film by the game and fish on the buffalo

I drew the tag last year and wasted a long weekend on the west side in March. Never cut a track. The vast majority winter in the park and will start crossing when it warms up. The majority of the animals cross between the park entrance and Fire Point.