capoeirajosh

10x42 vs 12x50

So, I am looking to upgrade my binos this year! Right now I am running Vortex Viper HD' in 10x50. Those have worked great for me. I am interested in upgrading to the razor hd's. I am torn on what magnification to go with though. Either 10x42 or 12x50? Let's hear it. What would you go with and why?

I have both Razor 10x42s and Razor 12x50s. I am pretty much always hunting with my son or wife, hence 2 pairs. Both serve a slightly different purpose, but for all around use I definitely prefer the 12x50s. I have no problem free handing the 12x50s, and really like the extra magnification, especially on the tripod.

I just got a great deal on some Swaro el 12x50s and am selling my Razor 12x50s if interested.

That was my worry with the 12's. Not being able to freehand them. I am not ready to purchase right now. Later in the year.

Good to know!

I really like my 12x50 a lot. I freehand most of the time with them. But I got myself a tripod a couple of years back that has a single pole inside. It's perfect.

Get the 12s! It seemed like when I glassed something up with a 10 I always felt I needed a tad more to take a better look. Free handing it is fine

If you don't have 15s then get the 12s for sure. Personally the best set up is 10s around the neck they are light and great to freehand you can even throw them on the tripod. And If your looking at some big county or need a better look bust out the 15s!

• Like 4

If you don't have 15s then get the 12s for sure. Personally the best set up is 10s around the neck they are light and great to freehand you can even throw them on the tripod. And If your looking at some big county or need a better look bust out the 15s!

I was leaning more towards the 10's for this very reason. I tried them out the other day and they were just so light! I do eventually need to get a pair of 15's though. I have definitely been in the "I can't tell if that is a buck" scenario.

They are both pretty similarly priced aren't they? If you don't have a spotter or 15's it might be worth getting the 12's until you save up for the spotter/15's, then you can probably find someone to trade strait across for the 10's.

• Like 1

If you already have viper 10x50 what upgrade would you expect from 10x42‘s? Just my opinion, I have yet to experience challenging light conditions while hunting in AZ so I just can’t justify the need/ cost for the top of the line glass. I hunt with a guy who uses 15x56 swaros and he’s never happy when I spot deer first with my cheaper 12x50 glass. And he can't freehand them. A compact spotter might be a solution for you. Ultimately everyone’s eyes are different and you just need a system that works for you.

• Like 1

They are both pretty similarly priced aren't they? If you don't have a spotter or 15's it might be worth getting the 12's until you save up for the spotter/15's, then you can probably find someone to trade strait across for the 10's.

That's a pretty good idea. Might have to do this. How bout field of view between the 2? Any noticeable differences? Did you ever wish you had 10's for more field of view?

I will for sure res-listen to some of those podcasts.

If I were to carry one power of binos for all applications I would choose the 12's.

I have a pair of 10X42 Nikons that I love to carry when archery hunting. I can go light, free hand easy and have just the right field of view at close ranges.

On the past few rifle hunts I have been on I have just carried my 15X50 Vipers and have been happy with them. The extra 3 or 5 power is nice. Most of the time on a rifle hunt I find myself sitting and glassing more and haven't used the 10's hardly at all. For me free handing the 15's is tougher but isn't bad if I practice or lean on a tree or rock.

12's are a happy medium. You can always carry a spotter if you really want to count points etc.