firstcoueswas80

backpacking in the southern units, mainly 36b

Has anybody done this? I have a friend from out of state who would like to do this. I'm well versed in the unit but I've never thought about packing in. If anybody has done this please PM me.

There are a couple areas I would like to, but have not yet. I have not been down in the last couple years... Think next time find myself in the unit with a tag I will do at least a few nights out in the bush.

I'd talk with La Migra before doing it, at a minimum it would keep them from raiding your camp

I might know a guy or two I could talk too.

• Like 5

I'd talk with La Migra before doing it, at a minimum it would keep them from raiding your camp

I might know a guy or two I could talk too.
Lol

Once you start backpacking for Coues deer you will never want to hunt any other way.... Or you will hate it...... Get your gear system down and know what you need to carry vs what you want to bring and it's awesome!!! Good luck..

• Like 2

I hunt 36b for years. I usually my camp close to main roads and other campers. I've come across so many beddings up there and those guys with the 60 lb packs are usually staying up high and far away from roads. Then again I'm just a pansy!

Besides the deer, the only other company I have had way up in the mtns. is those guys with the heavy packs headed north. Always makes me nervous. I find that I am more concerned about my back trail than finding coues for the next couple of hours after stumbling across them.

• Like 1

And their backpacks weigh 25 kilos...

Fixed it for ya.
  • Like 2

Besides the deer, the only other company I have had way up in the mtns. is those guys with the heavy packs headed north. Always makes me nervous. I find that I am more concerned about my back trail than finding coues for the next couple of hours after stumbling across them.

That would be my concern as well. I'd be freaked out after spotting them way back there that I couldn't focus on the hunt.