Sign in to follow this  
longshooter

Pics of my Great Grandfathers coues

Studs! Top pic looks like a M88 Win

Bottom a Savage 99 or same rifle?

That bottom pic looks like a still from 'The Rifleman'

• Like 2

Good lookin Guy Larry . What happend to You. He didn't pass the genes down?.............BOB!

• Like 3

When men were real men!! Cool pics

• Like 2

You mean you don't need full camo or a ghillie suit for a rifle hunt?!?!?

• Like 1

Awesome pics! The good ole days!

But I have to ask, why only deer pics? Was it just as hard to draw a rifle bull or goat tag back then??? ;)

• Like 1

Awesome pics! The good ole days!

But I have to ask, why only deer pics? Was it just as hard to draw a rifle bull or goat tag back then??? ;)

I'll answer that. He lived in Bisbee, had coues out his back door and probably not enough money to travel to shoot anything else. Later in life he shot some nice bulls, maybe Larry has some pictures he can share.

I remember seeing these awhile back and glad to see you repost them. Great pictures for sure. :)

TJ

My feet hurt just looking at that second photo. Leather soles are not real comfortable to walk in rocks. My cowboy boots transfer every rock right to my feet.

The second photo looks like a 1920-1930s Hollywood movie poster. Awesome shot.

• Like 2

Great photos, and thank you for posting them again. I missed them the first time around.

To answer a couple of questions raised in this thread, the same rifle apparently is shown in both photos. The Winchester Model 88 wasn't introduced until 1955, a year after I graduated from high school.

The Savage Model 99 shown apparently was very close to new if the photos are from the 1930s because earliy 99s didn't have pistol grips and the butts were deeply curved. A 99 chambered for the now-obsolete .303 Savage was my first "deer rifle." I was an avid reader of Jack O'Connor's columns, and because of them I became the first hunter I knew to hunt with a scope. Everyone said I was crazy because "scopes made your gun wiggle all over the place" and "you can't get on a buck fast enough when he jumps up."

Lots of hunters wore leather soles in the late 1940s when I first started hunting. There weren't many other options, and they were expensive. I wore "dress shoes" for my first couple of hunts until I could afford "work boots" with artificial hard rubber soles.

Camouflage wasn't widely available before the Vietnam War. We wore red plaid "hunting shirts" and Levi's. If it was cold, we wore solid drab olive jackets and liners we bought for virtually nothing from stores that sold military surplus items from World War II.

Nobody I knew (including me) carried binoculars, and anyone who walked around with a pack on his back would have been laughed off the mountain.

As now, there were guys who managed to bring home a deer every year, and guys who couldn't find a deer if their lives depended on it.

As for elk, it always has been difficult to draw a tag in Arizona, except for hunts on Indian reservations. The state controlled the wildlife on reservations then, but the tribes added a $25 trespass fee and few hunters were willing to pay it.

Thanks again for posting the photos. They brought back a wave of good memories of a time long ago.

Bill Quimby

• Like 7