Sign in to follow this  
backcountry_brad

New Mexico turkey hunting?

I didn't get drawn for turkey this year so I have been looking into some of the over the counter hunts in New Mexico. I've never hunted in New Mexico and have no idea what units are worth checking out. If anyone has any experience turkey hunting in New Mexico and could point me in the right direction or offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

We elk hunted a few years ago in unit 9 near Grants. We saw turkeys everyday and stupid close. Less than 30 yards.

I'd have to look at the exact units, but over by Reserve and Glenwood in the Gila NF has always been good to me.

Grants area has always interested me because its so easy to get to from Flagstaff.

New Mexico Turkey hunting is Awesome! Some units you can take 2 birds. Well worth the money and time.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to try my hand at NM turkey. I've heard it's a blast, many more turkeys than here.

NM is fun and I try to hunt it every year. I have hunted turkey there for the past 16 years. As far as their being more birds than AZ on a unit to unit comparison I would have to disagree. Maybe the overall numbers are higher because there is more habitat statewide in NM. I feel a lot of the stories you hear of how easy and how many birds there are come from private land hunting. Personally I feel I can find Turkey a lot easier and more abundant in unit 1 and 27 then I do across the border in NM units 15, 16’s, 22 & 23. I still have fun and try to hunt NM every year because of the over the counter tags. I usually take one or two birds each year but I feel it is from past experience hunting the same flocks and knowing their habits. The first few years hunting there were pretty rough trying to locate birds and then learn their patterns.

• Like 2

I personally feel the Turkey hunting is better in NM, because the hunt starts a lot earlier. New Mexico hasn't always been an easy hunt, but most of the time I've got on birds.

That used to be the case but Arizona keeps moving our hunts earlier and earlier each year. In fact this year the AZ youth hunt and the NM hunt start the same day April 15th. Even all of the AZ adult draw hunts start in April this year. I still haven't decided if I am going to hunt NM or help out the youth in AZ this year.

I would love to go to NW this year, but I'm helping some kids on the Jr hunt. I will be busy the following weekend because I got lucky and drew another tag. This is my 3rd year in a row drawing a turkey tag:) I'm hoping to make it 3 for 3.

• Like 1

I would help if I could but every time I get a turkey tag, no turkeys. See them plenty when it is not season. I am just wondering if the snow over in unit 9 is going to melt before April.

They generally follow the snow line. But there are no Turkeys in N Mexico...............BOB!

We've gotten quiet a few birds out of New Mexico in the past. To this day I still can't decide which state is better turkey hunting between Arizona and New Mexico. I seem to do well in both states, and get on birds on every hunt in each state. On my hunts I seem to get older birds in Arizona more often than New Mexico. I'm not sure why that is, and it could be just the area I hunt. The last time I went to New Mexico I believe that it was a around a hundred dollars for the out of state turkey tag, and ten dollars for the additional tag. Although the prices could have changed since I've been there. If you get the second tag it's worth the additional ten bucks to extend your hunt. If you decide to hunt New Mexico have fun on your hunt and I don't think you'll regret it.

I hunted NM last year for the first time and had a good time. I actually stayed in AZ each night and drove 15-20 minutes each morning into NM.

post-8798-0-34892200-1455289274_thumb.jpg

• Like 2