Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Coues Brats

Well I made some brats from my coues deer I got in November. I'm trying them out for the first time right now. I'm not sure why, but I'm a bit nervous. My first time making sausage of any sort by myself and I made my own seasoning rather than using a store bought one. We shall see.

• Like 2

the thing I learned making stuffed links, don't over grind and don't scrimp on the fat or they come out dry - my first attempt was dry brat flavored hotdogs

here is another stuffed link recipe:

Hunter Sausage - I like to make hash with this one, mix in potatoes and maybe scramble an egg or 2. Book stuffs and makes links, I have made them and they are good too. Good with deer, elk & javelina.

2 lbs pork butt or game meat

1 lb smoked bacon - also is good with maple flavored bacon too.

1/2 cup cold water

1 tblspn whole mustard seeds

2 tspns minced garlic

2 tspns coarsely ground black pepper

2 tspns sweet Hungarian paprika

2 tspns dried mustard

1 tspn kosher salt

1 tspn ground coriander

1 tspn freshly grated nutmeg

1/2 tspn ground ginger

grind meat/bacon together, mix in spices/water and knead together. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything, if happy with then stuff links.

• Like 2

How did they turn out? Got some brats done at the processor from my mulie...looking forward to trying them too since the butcher (Dickman's in Tucson) is well known for their non-venison brats.

They weren't the best. Pretty dry and flavorless. Anybody have a good recipe for my next attempt?

How much Pork did you add .... I have a friend that makes good homemade venison brats .. Do not know his exact recipe but know he uses around a 40/60 blend pork/venison ... also know that he swears my adding ground mace along with nutmeg ...

azslims recipe looks like it would be good

How did they turn out? Got some brats done at the processor from my mulie...looking forward to trying them too since the butcher (Dickman's in Tucson) is well known for their non-venison brats.

Not sure I could make myself buy sausage from a guy named Dickman.

Not sure I could make myself buy sausage from a guy named Dickman.

Well, with a name like Dickman, he should probably know Sausage

• Like 1

from my flops I learned you need 25 to 30% fat for stuffed links, grind meat with the big plate, fat with the small one, mix good by hand and stuff

a thought I've had, so far hasn't got past the thought stage, add a touch of olive oil to the meat to keep it from being so dry, if I ever do it will post results here

don't give up, learn from your mistakes