Sign in to follow this  
218buck

Daughters first try at archery pig

Me and my daughter drew 20b ham tags opening weekend she had a gymkhana so she couldn't go , I had bought her a bow for Christmas just for this hunt she has killed one every year since she has started hunting . Now that she is 14 she wanted to try something different she has been shooting almost daily but not past 20 yards. So this morning we ran up behind lake pleasant we glassed up a herd of about 20 we went after them once we got inside of 50 yards I let her go alone it was real rocky and I did not dare take a chance on spooking them because this had happened before and she is still reminding me. So she patiently stalked in to 17 yards and I saw her pull her bow back only to shoot over it so I started calling and the whole herd started right back towards us she shot twice more went over both of those as well. I really enjoyed the show she has taken many animals with a rifle she is learning that archery hunting is a completely different game. She is put in for archery elk she thinks those will be easier to hit.

• Like 7

That's awesome. I bet you guys had a blast out there chasing them with a bow. Sounds like she's getting hooked. Good luck on the elk draw.

• Like 1

My son thought the same thing with rifle hunting deer and he wanted to go after them with a bow. Needless to say up close and personal is not his forte. Said he was shaking so bad he couldn't aim. :D

• Like 3

I have been bow hunting for 2 years now. With a rifle or ML I don't get excited until after the shot. Not so with a bow, a cow elk at 20 yards had me shaking worse than when I shot my first deer. I only wish I had started archery about 20 years ago but I was loving ML hunting so much. I will go back to rifle when I can't pull a bow anymore.

• Like 1