Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Happy Birthday Fred Bear

Share your memories or favorite quotes or whatever you got on Fred Bear

• Like 1

I was a big Fred Bear fan when I was a teen. First bow was a Bear 40lb. recurve, then a Kodiak magnum Compound with wooden riser and glass limbs.

Fred is a legend,and a pioneer in his craft.

I would have loved to have had the chance to hunt with this man. I never got in to archery until I moved here in 72 and my dad, brother, and I bought Fred Bear Whitetail Hunter bows. Here is a picture taken in the 70's with my dad's buck taken along Apache Lake. We killed lots of game with these legend bows. I often wonder what Fread Bear would think of today's bows. :)

post-1903-0-51635900-1457194090_thumb.jpeg

Wow that hit me in the heart, now I need to uncle ted's Fred bear song. !happy b'day to the original MAN!!!

I was Safari Club International's director of publications when the club sent notices to Fred Bear, Bill Ruger and Prince Abdorreza Pahlavi of Iran to invite them to the club's convention in Reno where they would be inducted into SCI's Hunting Hall of Fame.

Bear and Ruger both sent letters thanking the club, and confirming they would be there. Prince Abdorreza's secretary in Paris, however, wrote to say that the prince was a "great hunter" and if the two "tradesmen" were receiving the same award the prince would not accept it.

We wrote back saying it would not be the same trophy, and it wasn't. We had it placed on a bigger piece of walnut , making it about a foot taller than the trophies Bear and Ruger were presented, and presented it in a more elaborate ceremony.

Bear and Ruger were never told what had happened, but after the presentation, Bear took me aside to ask that I stop running advertising for a certain well-known bowhunter's products in Safari magazine because the guy was an "unethical crook and doing harm to bowhunting" (Bear's words). I told Bear I couldn't refuse the ads without more cause. I should have listened to him because the fellow soon stopped paying his bills and took out bankruptcy, stiffing the magazine for about $10,000. A year later, he formed a different company with a different name and had an agency place the company's ads. I didn't learn who owned the company until I received a bankruptcy notice.

After that, the guy left the country owing a lot more money than the first time around. Bear knew what he was talking about.

Bill Quimby

• Like 2

A footnote to my last post: After I retired from SCI in 1999, I was hired by Safari Press to write a biography about Prince Abdorreza and I spent a total of three weeks on two visits to his winter home in Florida interviewing him. The book is called "Royal Quest" and is in its third or fourth edition. The incident involving Fred Bear and Bill Ruger was not mentioned.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

He is one man I would truly like to spend time with. These guys now with posse's, brush beaters, camera checkers, 400 fps bows, range finders, etc. don't have a clue what a hunter is. Fred Bear was "the" hunter. I kinda think he wouldn't be too happy with the direction the sport has taken. You're are really lucky to have actually spent time with him, Bill. Lark

There's a bunch of things I liked about him. He liked to have a pork chop and bread and butter sandwich for lunch. My boys and I still make it a point to do it on every hunt.

Lark:

I would have liked to have spent more time with Fred Bear so we could have talked about hunting. Unfortunately, my total face-to-face contact with the man took fewer than ten minutes and our entire conversation was about a scumbag and why I couldn't refuse advertising without more cause.

Bill Quimby