Sign in to follow this  
naturebob

Southern California Muley's?

My new job Iv'e had for 3 weeks I drive truck to Palm Springs area and back every day. I go empty and bring back a full load of plants that go to Home Depot and the other big box stores. I only drive , no touch freight. pay is pretty good too. My Question is ,there are constant Mtn. ranges between the AZ. border and Palm Springs. Gotta be some deer areas even tho it is pretty dry looking desert. Are there any pockets or good hunting areas and any water. And last, is it huntable or can You draw it..........BOB!

I know there's deer in there and it's sheep country. There's febrile pigs in the mountains near Palm Springs. I've wanted to hire a hunt there on one of my trips over but haven't looked up any ranches of prices yet. I have seen them though when I take the mountain route

The range you're referring to (zone D-12) has some true desert mule deer......although the numbers are low. This is arid desert country that doesn't receive a lot of rainfall.......even in the monsoon season. I live in the unit and have measured several rifle bucks (a few archery) taken from this unit over the last 25 years. Deer grow to maturity in this unit, as it is extremely remote and inaccessible (except foot) in many areas. A 165-180" buck is not unheard of. The state record archery typical mule deer is from this unit (182" net).....the #3 non-typical is from this unit as well at 191" net. Most deer are along the river north and south of Blythe.......but there are also deer well within the unit near Desert Center and Chiriaco Summit.

There are NO wild pigs of any type (except humans) in any of the unit or high mountain ranges above Palm Springs. Wish there was, but there's not.

• Like 1

Probably some farmer's stock. :) There are a few down towards Paolmar Mtn.......near San Diego. But that's a LONG ways from where the OP was referring to.

i used to drive from Camp Pendleton to phoenix about once a month and would take the back roads from temecula to palm springs. I would always see lots of deer and turkeys in the pines above palm springs.

are you allowed to hunt in california?

Yes. When in the Marines i used to fish a lot at Lake Cuyamaca and ran into the game warden quite often. Very cool guy and never hassled me since i was a Marine. I asked him a lot about hunting in California. He was setting up duck blinds one time for the duck hunters on the lake. Said it was a once in a lifetime type hunt lol.

I landscaped a buddies house Like 25 miles south of Blythe 6-7 years ago. On the river. He lives in San Diego ,IL'L have to talk to him about the deer. Is there a rifle hunt? any one know? Thanks ,taking off for there right now. I drive back at night and havn't seen any but I realize there probly arn't many.......BOB!

D12 is a zone I have been hunting since 2012 when the big game bug bite me, it's been deer hunting on the top of list ever since. Like mentioned above, very hard zone to hunt limited tags available only 950 and the success rate is about 9%, well at least reported kills. DFW is making reporting mandatory next coming year or so. Like the elders told me when I was picking their head, find the water find the deer. this zone is so big it takes a few years to really get to know a section and then still try and find deer in it, I've yet to venture to the area your talking about. I've heard stories of good bucks taken north of the I-10, one day i'll venture that way and check it out myself.

• Like 1

Yes, but you must be a registered Democrat:)

• Like 3

Sure are........ unfortunately, though, Liberals are not in season. :)

• Like 3

You can hunt. You just can't use a gun, bow, spear, knife, atlatl, rock, stick, etc. and you can't kill anything. Lark

• Like 3

I will have to look on their website and check it out. If archery is rut time I will have some time off at work. They say Dec. and Jan. is kinda slow at work. I could do crossbow with my torn up shoulder.Thanks Guys............BOB!

• Like 1

If I see baby "still spotted about 15" tall" fawns during archery season (Oct.) and the gestation period is about 200 days does that put the doe getting prego around April? So would rut be around April them? this is the first time I actually think about rut since BOB brought it up... is it about the same time in AZ? All the bucks I've seen during archery they have a good harem with them and always fawns with them.