IA Born

2016-2017 Commissioner's Turkey Tag Raffle

Once again, the NWTF-AZ State Chapter has acquired one of the Commissioner's turkey tags to raffle off. Each NWTF chapter within the state has a deck of playing cards that are the raffle tickets. I'm coordinating selling our Northern Arizona Chapter cards with another committee member. I'll have to take stock of how many we have left, but its most of the deck. Cards are $20 each. If you are interested in buying one (or more), you can PM me and we'll get it worked out. If you want to write a check, but prepared for it to sit in an envelope for a while until we get all the cards sold and the drawing is held August 1, 2016 at the Sierra Vista Chapter's banquet. Otherwise, you can send cash or a check made out to me and I'll cash it and put the money in the envelope along with your card half. At the same time, I'll send you back your other half (halves) of the card(s) along with a flier for some authenticity. Below are the bullet points from the info document we're all sent. 2nd prize is a Savage Axis XP in .243 with a 3x9 scope. I'll also be at the youth turkey camp near Happy Jack this year if you are there and want to buy directly from me there. These went fairly quick last year and I'll be making this same post on a hunting forum back in my home state. Get your tickets soon!

· YEAR LONG ARIZONA TURKEY TAG (AUG. 15, 2016-AUG. 14, 2017)

· GOOD FOR EITHER GOULDS, MERRIAMS, or Rio Grande Turkey

· GOOD IN ANY OPEN UNIT AS PRESCRIBED BY COMMISSION ORDER

· WINNER MAY PRESCRIBE TO WHOM THE TAG IS ISSUED

· 2ND PRIZE IS A SAVAGE AXIS XP .243 RIFLE W/3X9 SCOPE

· ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE SALE OF THIS TAG GO TO AZGFD FOR TURKEY MANAGEMENT AND

RESEARCH

· GOULDS TURKEY IS THE MOST DIFFICULT TURKEY TAG TO DRAW IN THE U.S. (FOUND ONLY IN SE ARIZONA AND SW NEW MEXICO)

· ROYAL SLAM FOR WILD TURKEY INCLUDES THE EASTERN, OSCEOLA, RIO GRANDE, MERRIAMS, AND GOULDS TURKEY

2016 Poster.pdf

PM sent, thank you for offering this again. A great cause with a chance at a great tag!

• Like 1

PM sent, thank you for offering this again. A great cause with a chance at a great tag!

PM answered and thanks again, Phil!

I did not know that included the Rio I don't believe it did last year. I believe you already sold me 5 cards one of which is the winner through Jim at the banquet. How many cards are remaining? One day I'll go after that Royal Slam! :D

• Like 1

I did not know that included the Rio I don't believe it did last year. I believe you already sold me 5 cards one of which is the winner through Jim at the banquet. How many cards are remaining? One day I'll go after that Royal Slam! :D

Rios were included last year and have been included since those units were opened. I figured Jim hooked you up! As for how many cards are left, I'll have to get an accurate count and get back to you. Most our chapter's deck remains, though.

What about unit 10 tho

As long as 10 is an open unit per commission orders, its a valid unit for the commissioner's tag.

Rios were included last year and have been included since those units were opened. I figured Jim hooked you up! As for how many cards are left, I'll have to get an accurate count and get back to you. Most our chapter's deck remains, though.

What about unit 10 tho

As long as 10 is an open unit per commission orders, its a valid unit for the commissioner's tag.

I may have to get a few more cards then. the turkey tag the arizona big game super raffle raffles is Gould's or Merriam's only and I want the so called Arizona Rio.

I'm trying to look at the rules right now (website moving slow). I could have sworn that those tags were the same as the commissioner's tags: any open unit, including Rios!

Edit: Just checked the regs (Commission Order 29) and Rios appear to be fair game:

TK01 Any bearded turkey: 1

General: Aug. 15, 2016–Aug 14, 2017; Open Areas: (1,2,3,4) 1, 3B-10 (except Camp Navajo in Unit 6B), 12A, 13A, 13B, 17A, 17B, 18B, 20A, 22, 23, 24A, 27, 29, 30A, 31, 33, 34A, and 35A (except Fort Huachuca in Unit 35A)

I'm trying to look at the rules right now (website moving slow). I could have sworn that those tags were the same as the commissioner's tags: any open unit, including Rios!

Edit: Just checked the regs (Commission Order 29) and Rios appear to be fair game:

TK01 Any bearded turkey: 1

General: Aug. 15, 2016–Aug 14, 2017; Open Areas: (1,2,3,4) 1, 3B-10 (except Camp Navajo in Unit 6B), 12A, 13A, 13B, 17A, 17B, 18B, 20A, 22, 23, 24A, 27, 29, 30A, 31, 33, 34A, and 35A (except Fort Huachuca in Unit 35A)

Not for the Arizona Big Game Super Raffle clearer states on the front page of their website Gould's or Merriam's only. see below

clearpixel.gif

azbgsr_logo_r2.gif

ag_flogo.gif

Banner_2010.gif clearpixel.gif Home_Hbutton_alt_3_1.jpg About_The__Raffle_Nbutton_alt_4_1.jpg Rules_Nbutton_alt_4.jpg Buy_Tickets_Nbutton_alt_4.jpg The_Drawing_Nbutton_alt_4_1.jpg Sponsoring__Organizations_Nbutton_alt_4. __Questions___Nbutton_alt_4.jpg Winner_s_Circle_Nbutton_alt_4.jpg Results_Nbutton_alt_4.jpg Contact_Us_Nbutton_alt_4.jpg clearpixel.gif

Follow us onFacebook

clearpixel.gif Welcome to the AZ Big Game Super Raffle!

AZBGSR_Win_Big_Heading_front.jpg

Win the hunt of a lifetime

or a Swarovski Optics Package Valued at $13,850!

AZ_Mule_Deer_lll_-_241_2_8_-_2015R.jpg

One winner for each of the Arizona tags listed below will be drawn on July 21, 2016. Winners will be able to hunt for 365 days almost anywhere in the state of Arizona during the 2016-2017 hunting season.

• Antelope
  • Black Bear
  • Buffalo
  • Coues Whitetail
  • Desert Bighorn Sheep
  • Elk
  • Javelina
  • Mt. Lion
  • Mule Deer
  • Turkey (Goulds or Merriams)

That's very interesting. Not sure why I didn't notice that, but under "Rules" it clearly states any open unit per Comm Order 29. I think I'm going to call AGFD on that one. I wonder if that "Goulds or Merriams" is a relict from the pre-Rio days.

That's very interesting. Not sure why I didn't notice that, but under "Rules" it clearly states any open unit per Comm Order 29. I think I'm going to call AGFD on that one. I wonder if that "Goulds or Merriams" is a relict from the pre-Rio days.

Here is what it says about hunting in AZBGSR Rules.IfYou can hunt statewide, with some exceptions. Hunt units for each species are specified in Arizona Game & Fish Commission Order 29. Please refer to our Rules page for more specific information about Commission Order 29 and where you can hunt.

"with some exceptions" are the key words. My guess this is AZBGSR rules not GnF and as you can see it states Merriam's or Gould's.

Here is what it says about hunting in AZBGSR Rules.IfYou can hunt statewide, with some exceptions. Hunt units for each species are specified in Arizona Game & Fish Commission Order 29. Please refer to our Rules page for more specific information about Commission Order 29 and where you can hunt.

"with some exceptions" are the key words. My guess this is AZBGSR rules not GnF and as you can see it states Merriam's or Gould's.

I saw that and that's why I left a message with someone from the game branch at AGFD. The Comm Order is very clear, but the caveat language is not clear and is not consistent with the Comm Order. As a wildlife management professional I've seen lawsuits lost over unclear language just like this one and you can bet I'll hold them to task on clarifying this one. You and I are all about "by the book", so I'll be holding them accountable for clarity! :)

I saw that and that's why I left a message with someone from the game branch at AGFD. The Comm Order is very clear, but the caveat language is not clear and is not consistent with the Comm Order. As a wildlife management professional I've seen lawsuits lost over unclear language just like this one and you can bet I'll hold them to task on clarifying this one. You and I are all about "by the book", so I'll be holding them accountable for clarity! :)

so are you questioning the card draw that you are selling cards for or are you questioning the raffle that AZBGSR is having or both? This could be very interesting keep me posted on what you find out.

I'm questioning the AZBGSR. The NWTF raffle we're selling cards for definitely includes Rios, per Comm Order 29.

From our flier: HUNT A GOULD’S, MERRIAM’S, or RIO GRANDE TURKEY FROM AUGUST 15, 2016 TO AUGUST 14, 2017 IN ANY UNIT WITH A TURKEY HUNT AS PRESCRIBED BY COMMISSION ORDER

That's why I'm questioning the AZBGSR. If our comm tags include Rio, AZBGSR should, too.

I'm questioning the AZBGSR. The NWTF raffle we're selling cards for definitely includes Rios, per Comm Order 29.

From our flier: HUNT A GOULD’S, MERRIAM’S, or RIO GRANDE TURKEY FROM AUGUST 15, 2016 TO AUGUST 14, 2017 IN ANY UNIT WITH A TURKEY HUNT AS PRESCRIBED BY COMMISSION ORDER

That's why I'm questioning the AZBGSR. If our comm tags include Rio, AZBGSR should, too.

this could get interesting I hope you are right. Would like the turkey tag (especially if it includes Rio) or optic package they offer. :)