azelkhunter69

12AW or 12BW ?

UPDATED.....Let me start by saying that for a few reasons I have been building points for deer for several years. I spend most of my vacation chasing elk, whether it be my hunt(not usually) or my wife's, kid's, or my parent's. So, I find myself sitting on 10 pts. I was going to use them on a Strip archery hunt for myself. But, over the past 6 months I got to thinking about my dad's age and what little time I have left to hunt with him...he will be 78 in September. He has been my hunting partner for most of my life and I don't look forward to the not to distant future when he will no longer want to go, be able to go, or inevitably not be here to go. He and I have never been to the Kaibab and I for one believe that we should all go at least once in our lives. So, I have decided that I will use my points to potentially get us a tag there this Fall. An avg. of 6 pts gets us in the bonus round for either hunt so we should have a really good chance. Neither one of us drew elk tags so I think it is a good time to do it. Also, he has a Kimber rifle that he is very fond of and recently told me that he has never killed anything with it and he would really like to.

So, I am looking for advice, opinions, scouting tips, hunting tips, camp spot tips, etc...anything really. Which hunt and why? We have an old canvas wall tent with a wood burner that my dad has been using for probably close to 50 years. It's seen a lot. Firewood availability? Might seem like some stupid questions but as I said, I have never been there. My guess is I will spend 3 to 4 longish weekends this Summer and Fall scouting there when/if we get tags. Might be more, I really don't know but my 1st instinct says that is about right.

PS, anybody that wants to give me crap for "e-scouting" can suck it. Personally, I look at this site as just another tool, no different than Google Earth, maps, AZGFD, friends, etc. Also, I know there are many great people on this site that are more than willing to provide some helpful info. I have done the same for some others. That is one of the best parts of this site and what keeps me as a member. Any info I receive will stop with me and my family.

Thanks guys.

EDIT.

My dad was sick leading up to this hunt and being a stubborn old timer, wouldn't go to the Dr. Made him go before the hunt and Dr. told him to come back after to get an XRAY on his lungs. Turns out he has lung cancer. Got biopsy and it has spread to his lymph nodes and possibly his liver. This may have been the last hunt we ever go on. The hunt was not what we hoped for, but I am glad I got to spend 10 days in the woods with my dad, best friend and hunting partner. Enjoy every minute with your family. You never know when it will end. As a kid growing up in NY, I have been lucky to spend many years here in AZ hunting animals my dad and I only dreamed of. Love you dad. Hoping for one more hunt.

• Like 2

I have never hunted the strip. I love 12AW though. With 12AW as long as you go to scout at least once and have a good layout of the land you are going to see a buck. Whether or not you want to burn your points on "any" Buck is a different story entirely. There is everything up there, good & bad roads, water, firewood etc. bring rain gear, cold weather gear and all your basics. The more hours you spend there scouting prior to the hunt will give you a greater chance of killing a mature buck. It's a great unit and a great place to just tag out if you want but there are some monsters in there. If you are willing to put

in the time. Good luck.

• Like 1

I like 12aw but have hunted both and both can produce a big buck, I thank 7 points was the bonus round but I could be wrong. I would say 12aw would be alittle more friendly in your case. Which ever one you draw just spend some time in there and learn the country. Lots of factors on those hunts to consider like weather ,migrations and hunt pressure that you won't really know till the hunt starts. Either way you and your dad will have a good time and make some memories. Good luck

• Like 2

I just drew the 12AW tag this last year with a buddy of mine. We saw tons of deer, had a great time and both ended up shooting nice bucks. As big as the unit is you will still run into other hunters. Now if you put in and happen to draw the late tag that is a different story. Then you are talking about shooting a really nice buck and passing normal sized bucks.

• Like 2

I like 12A West better because of deer quality and selection. Also a larger area to hunt which gives you a better experience in my opinion.

• Like 1

If you can afford it, I would look heavily at booking with TLO and hunting the Kaibab. It will be expensive I'm sure but in the long run it would definitely be worth it. If I could afford something like that and my dad was that age I would definitely look into it if not do it!

• Like 2

If you can afford it, I would look heavily at booking with TLO and hunting the Kaibab. It will be expensive I'm sure but in the long run it would definitely be worth it. If I could afford something like that and my dad was that age I would definitely look into it if not do it!

some great advice right there

I like 12aw but have hunted both and both can produce a big buck, I thank 7 points was the bonus round but I could be wrong. I would say 12aw would be alittle more friendly in your case. Which ever one you draw just spend some time in there and learn the country. Lots of factors on those hunts to consider like weather ,migrations and hunt pressure that you won't really know till the hunt starts. Either way you and your dad will have a good time and make some memories. Good luck

Unless I am looking at something wrong, for the 12AW Oct. hunt, 7 pts was guaranteed and 23% of the guys with 6 pts. got drawn in the bonus round.

Thanks for the info so far guys. Looks like the popular opinion is 12AW so I think that is what I will go with. We will be able to stay for the whole hunt so time is not a problem. I will keep you updated on how things go with the draw. I am excited to get up there and have a look around.

Pm me if you get a tag especially for 12aw I live an hour and a half away and spend almost all my free time up there. The 12b early hunt is to reliant on weather in my opinion and years it isn't cold yet the hunting can be tuff

• Like 1

12b late is a fun hunt. ive never been to 12a during the late hunt so i cant say. but in 12b i saw some cool rutting action, couple really nice bucks lots of deer. and it was a bad year.

12 a west for the early is a more enjoyable hunt and easier over all. More big bucks number wise to hunt in 12 a verses 12 b for the early hunt. Late hunt wise they r equal.

• Like 1