CatfishKev

Paleo Diet

Just curious how many of you guys have experience with it and what your results were. It sounds decent but I've also read that it is a fad diet. Just looking for some first hand experience.

I have done it before for periods of time and had good results. It's a pretty clean diet with a a lot of good recipes.

The chicken with sweet potatoes , shallots and coconut oil is pretty good and my wife was baking some of their deserts where you substitute honey for sugar etc

I don't specifically follow any diet, but my normal diet is very similar to the paleo or "caveman" diet. I primarily eat wild game meat, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and legumes. I do eat some processed foods, like bread, pasta, ice cream, etc., but often meals consist of just meat and a vegetable, salad or fruit. My diet has just naturally evolved in that direction as I have gotten older.

• Like 2

Overall family health is my main priority. Wife also just had a baby so I want to explore some different options and feedback and be prepared to get into some sort of diet / exercise routine. She's got some time to heal from the c section before exercise but shes not used to "planning" meals so i'm kinda in research mode. My buddy owns a crossfit gym and occasionally does a nutrition class which we will check out. He's a big proponent of the paleo diet which is where I first heard of it.

Are paleo meals like half meat? I love meat and all but i'm thinking meat should only be 1/4 to 1/3 tops of the overall meal. One HUGE thing I absolutely love about the idea is the use of game meat.

From what I know, your only supposed to eat meat that will fit in your palm. I've attemted this diet before, it's hard at first to wean yourself off of processed foods such as breads, milk, and so on. If you can't kill it, grow it, don't eat it. I preferre the hunters diet.

Check out the primal blue print book, I did paleo for a year straight a couple years back, the key for me was to make sure i hit my set daily calorie goal I still tracked all my food on my fitness pal, the book covers everything, they also have a website marks daily something? If you work a labor job or really active you might want to look into flexible dieting. Honestly I felt like crap for a year on paleo i have tons of friend who are strick paleo and have no problems.

Yep, Paleo is great for clean eating but if you are real active you will be hard pressed to get enough carbs. There are a lot of sites that are Paleo-ish. Bread with sprouted grains, steel cut oats, rice, small servings of lugumes, basically carbs with a minimum of processing. You can also cycle the carbs around tour activiity level. Bulld a plan and tweek it every 30 days. Also don't stress when you blow, vacation, birthdays, etc.

Paleo in it's raw state is not the best of meal plans unfortunately. I love the idea, but there are definitely some silly aspects to it that don't make a lot of sense. All the things you can eat are good to go, but some of the things you can't eat should be edible due to the health benefits. For example Cereal Grains, Legumes (especially peanuts), dairy, salt (in moderation) and potatoes are all very healthy and good options for any modified diet. Other things like greek yogurt are super healthy and provide huge benefits, but aren't permissible since they weren't around 10,000 years ago. If you want to do Paleo I'd recommend modifying it a little to include those items.

The best "diet" is the one you can stick to. Paleo, South Beach, Mediterranean, etc. are all the same S@#$ just different toilet. If you just use some common sense and stick to what you know is good for you and eat in moderation you will see results. Also, don't fall for the natural is always better mantra being preached nowadays. Organic is a marketing term nothing else.

• Like 1

I been on a diet since February and have lost close to 30lbs I'd say.. Some of it was lifestyle change ( no beers Mon. - Thurs ) but a lot of it was because I bought this book called " Wheat Belly " its basically a " no wheat diet"... It sucks because you miss out on burgers, pasta , and pizzas, but man it really works. My wife and I still eat carbs too we just dont eat flour or anything wheat based.. The book says corn tortillas are good and so is red wine..My neighbor turned me on to this diet, and like I said I been at it since Feb, and the main reason I did it was to be in better hunting shape plus I'm only 34 and should really take advantage of being healthy and young. Oh yeah now that I've lost the weight I will reward my self by cheating on the weekends, mostly beers but I will also have a sandwich or burger just try not to eat anything bad Mon.-Thursday.

wheat-belly.jpg

• Like 1

Packed on a few lbs lately, the gun belt is "snug" so I've been making changes. Along with logging my intake, I've also switched to liquid lunches.

20160702_150345_zpsqyc1wgno.jpg

I'm never sure of the intent of these diets. On the surface the seem to be a way to get in shape, live healthier, or just lose some excess weight but I always wonder if they are some folks substitute for good ole fashioned hard work.

If one couldn't eat tortillas, pizza, pasta, beer, or wheated bourbons I'm not sure i would have much to look forward too.

IMHO the key to success is balance! Like when you eat a whole pizza accidentally then you gotta pay the piper a bit extra in the gym or on the trail the next day. oops

I am a firm believer that your metabolism can be altered by your active lifestyle or lack of.

Packed on a few lbs lately, the gun belt is "snug" so I've been making changes. Along with logging my intake, I've also switched to liquid lunches.

I commend your self assessment and efforts to make positive changes. That drink looks slam full of good stuff, but does the liquid lunch leave you hungry or fatigued after a long day?